Getting ready for SWG

New SWG (IntelliChlor IC40) owner here.. had the same question about bubbles coming out of the returns when the SWG is running.

They're hydrogen bubbles. Hydrogen is a byproduct of the SWG process of converting Salt to Chlorine.
For some plumbing runs, the hydrogen doesn't get dispersed in the water and can form bubbles when it comes out of the return.

As long as you're not breathing the bubbles, you're Ok.

For a cool trick.. hold a lighter in the air just above the return. It'll ignite the bubbles as they reach the surface and make a POP sound.

Small, correction, the bubbles don't form as they're coming out of the return, but in the salt cell itself. Clear cells like Circupool's let you see the bubbles as it produces chlorine, regardless of whether they have time to collapse before leaving the PVC.

Kinda glad my bubbles collapse before my return, cuz I'd definitely try to set them on fire, lol.

Small, correction, the bubbles don't form as they're coming out of the return, but in the salt cell itself. Clear cells like Circupool's let you see the bubbles as it produces chlorine, regardless of whether they have time to collapse before leaving the PVC.

Kinda glad my bubbles collapse before my return, cuz I'd definitely try to set them on fire, lol.

Thanks for clearing that up. My fingers didn't type what my brain was thinking! :D

My inner science nerd is wondering what could be done with all that "wasted" hydrogen. My inner engineer is already designing a collection system with a funnel, tubing and some sort of ignition source. :eek:

I have one word for all of you!!!! VIDEO!!!!

*video*
"Alright, I'm about to try igniting this hydrogen gas."
10 seconds later
"Oh ****!! Honey, get hose or something! The pools on fire and I can't put it out!!"
"RUN!!!!!!!!!!!! She's gonna blow!!!!!"
*video abruptly cuts out*

SWG Journal

:testkit:
About 8:10 PM and I tested:
FC: 5.0
pH: 7.8
Temp: 77

No FC loss today! Picking up where I left off (before the SWG replacement) as no biggie. Same tomorrow:

RPM: 1500
GPM: 21
SWG Hours: 7
Output: 50%

I'll continue to check the FC each day for a while, in the evening (after the sun is off the pool).

Dare I?

SWG 55% at 7 hours a day is 3.85 hours of SWG use per day.

10000 hrs (SWG total hr output rating) / 3.85 hr/day* = 2597 days / 245 days/yr* = 10.6 years of SWG life?

*Factoring in the estimated 4 months of the year it's too cold here to run SWG, but not yet factoring in the increased usage necessary for the coming hotter months. Which I expect to be a significant increase in output %.

I'm wondering if there will be any other factors that might further decrease the life of my SWG, considering those cell plates will be sparkling-TFP clean for all those many, long years! ;)

Too bad Pentair doesn't base their warranty on that 10000 hours!

Has anybody had a Pentair SWG last that long? Or as long as its rated hours?

Dare I?

SWG 55% at 7 hours a day is 3.85 hours of SWG use per day.

10000 hrs (SWG total hr output rating) / 3.85 hr/day* = 2597 days / 245 days/yr* = 10.6 years of SWG life?

*Factoring in the estimated 4 months of the year it's too cold here to run SWG, but not yet factoring in the increased usage necessary for the coming hotter months. Which I expect to be a significant increase in output %.

I'm wondering if there will be any other factors that might further decrease the life of my SWG, considering those cell plates will be sparkling-TFP clean for all those many, long years! ;)

Too bad Pentair doesn't base their warranty on that 10000 hours!

Has anybody had a Pentair SWG last that long? Or as long as its rated hours?

I hope your numbers are right on that estimate, cuz for my pool I'll never need to replace my cell, lol.

11,500 hour lifespan. 10% for 4 hours a day.
11,500 hours ÷ (10% × 4 hours) ÷ 290 days/year = 99.1 years

... So my salt cell will outlive me? Lol

I went with 290 days cuz we only go 2 and a half months where it's cold enough for the pool to drop below 60°F.

I'm not checking any of the arithmetic, but yep, there are several members here who got 8, 10, 12 years out of their SWG cell.

FWIW and of course it varies a lot, my summer FC depletion is roughly double my spring depletion. Sun higher and more swimming.

Great to hear everything is working well.

SWG Journal

:testkit:
About 8:00 PM and I tested:
FC: 5.5
pH: 7.8
Temp: 74

Slight FC gain today. Same tomorrow:

RPM: 1500
GPM: 21
SWG Hours: 7
Output: 50%

I'll continue to check the FC each day for a while, in the evening (after the sun is off the pool).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not checking any of the arithmetic, but yep, there are several members here who got 8, 10, 12 years out of their SWG cell.

FWIW and of course it varies a lot, my summer FC depletion is roughly double my spring depletion. Sun higher and more swimming.

Great to hear everything is working well.

Thanks, needsajet. Well 10 years would be nice. At this point it's a race between which of my new-ish Pentair gear will give out first. I've basically systematically eliminated virtually every pool-related expense except MA, and some chlorine in the winters, possibly for 30 years. 20 would be amazing. The only wild card is the Pentair equipment...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just discovered that while my journal indicated I was going to up the SWG to 55% a few days ago, I only wrote that and didn't actually do that. So it's been at 50% and I edited my "Journal" to reflect that. Looking like 50% is about right for April. On to May!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.