Getting frustrated

Wilmot3

Jul 20, 2020
Pennsylvania
I grew up with a 24ft above ground. Dad used liquid chlorine. Never had a problem. We just got a 16ft intex type given to us. I got it up and didn’t short cut set up. By that I mean I leveled and used sand and used a laser level. It has a sand filter not a cartridge type. I thought after 30 yrs. the chlorine tablets would work. To make a long story short I wasn’t getting any chlorine in it using a floater. So put tablet in skimmer and ran filter all day. Go out this morning and it green. Test it NO chlorine. I guess I need to use liquid.

Welcome.

While yes, no most cases we recommend using liquid, you missed a step - Stabilizer.

Chlorine will only last a couple of hours in the sun without stabilizer in teh water. As fast as those tabs have been eroding, the sun has eliminated the chlorine.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

Welcome! :wave:

Is it ugly green with stuff on the walls, or a pale sickly clear green, or a beautiful clear emerald green? One is algae, two is iron in the water reacting with chlorine and rising pH, and the third would be copper, possibly introduced through "blue" tablets.