Getting chemicals right with SWG

May 29, 2018
fort smith, ar
Hey guys! I just got a 20X40 Diver SWG and VSP both by pentair. Trying to figure this whole thing out and it's not as easy as I thought it was. I also have the Taylork2006 test kit and the taylor salt kit. Ok, here are my numbers..
CC-0
FC-.5
PH-6
TA-30
CH-90
CY-0
Sodium 4000

Any thoughts on how I should run the VSP? Should I leave it on high and run it until numbers are right? And what in the heck do I do about the numbers??? I need all the help I can get! Thanks!!!

You need some cya, shoot for 50 ppm at first, use pool match and the other resources on here on how to add.

You need to raise your ta, I can't remember which chemical, probably baking soda, it will be in pool school on recommend chemicals, keep your pH in the 7's.

Add some plain 6% bleach in the pool now to prevent algae, shoot for 3 ppm as per pool math, add it at a return as the water is flowing.

Start your pump on low and bump it up if the surface is not clean, low speed is typically run 24/7

You need to tell us the pool volume as well as which specific SWCG..

How did you come up the 4000 for your salt level?

Without CYA, all the chlorine that your SWCG produces will be gone in a couple of hours. You add CYA by putting it in a Ladies knee high stocking and hanging it in front of a pool return. After an hour, go out and squeeze it.. Do that every few hours until it is gone. You need to know pool volume in order to know how much to add.

There are almost zero reasons to run a VS pump on "High"... And what RPM do you consider high??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
35k gallons and here’s pics of my swg and vsp

Attachments

• 77A610C3-4FE9-44BE-9688-797BF1438A55.jpeg
    77A610C3-4FE9-44BE-9688-797BF1438A55.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 4AC4D6DB-19BB-4F43-9C69-971B3ADA4342.jpeg
    4AC4D6DB-19BB-4F43-9C69-971B3ADA4342.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 12
  • AF66FE85-EBA6-445B-B8A8-ECDD52959091.jpeg
    AF66FE85-EBA6-445B-B8A8-ECDD52959091.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 10
As mentioned, put enough CYA to reach 50ppm in a sock or nylon and place this tied off bundle in the skimmer and run your pump continuously until it is all dissolved. Squeeze the bundle now and then to speed things up.

Then immediately after you drop that into the skimmer....Add some liquid chlorine to the water to get about 5ppm of FC.

Keep in mind that a SWG helps you *maintain* your FC, but it works too slowly to bring up your FC from zero to your desired level before algae can take hold. Use some plain liquid chlorine NOW to get your FC up and then let your SWG *maintain* that level. It will require some tweaks if you find thru testing that your FC is either too high or too low. You either increase or decrease the pump run time or the percentage on the device. At various times of the year you'll do this due to changing sun level, bather load, etc.

My two cents...

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: setsailsoon

You need to tell us the pool volume as well as which specific SWCG..

How did you come up the 4000 for your salt level?

Without CYA, all the chlorine that your SWCG produces will be gone in a couple of hours. You add CYA by putting it in a Ladies knee high stocking and hanging it in front of a pool return. After an hour, go out and squeeze it.. Do that every few hours until it is gone. You need to know pool volume in order to know how much to add.

There are almost zero reasons to run a VS pump on "High"... And what RPM do you consider high??

Thanks,

Jim R.
We have it set at 3 rpm

Why am I shooting for 50? Shouldn't it be between 60-80? Will it rise once everything is leveled out?
Because with CYA you want to sneak up on your goal level, to avoid accidentally overshooting. With CYA the only way to lower it is by draining water and refilling. Such a pain! So start lower and confirm it is where you hoped it would be, and creep up on that goal. Remember also that any CYA you've already added, if its less than 20-30ppm, it is hard to see on the test tube so you may have more in there than it first appears.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.