General TA, pH and FC question

1bayouboy

Jun 29, 2021
Charleston, SC
First thanks to everyone the replied to my bromide thread.....

After exchanging about 60% of the water over time and running with the higher chlorine demand I think I must be back to being a chlorine pool...at least from my observations
I think at least very close to it. After adding the bromide the pool would consume 10+ ppm FC a day or more. That's no longer the case and the chlorine consumption I think is probably close to normal for the hot bright summer days in SC for a pool with 1152 square ft of surface area.

Currently I seem to be at about a 2ppm chlorine use per day. My CYA is at 30ppm and I'm running the chlorine at 4-5. The issues I was having with the persistent YM seems to have gone since I shocked to the YM shock level at the current CYA level of 30. No more silt/sand looking accumulation over the last week.
I have to add about 1 Gal of 10% chlorine a day to maintain at 5-6 ppm FC. I add it in the evening to get FC up to 6.5+ and by the following evening I'll be about 4, depending on whether it's overcast or sunny. Full sun all day uses a bit more than 2ppm. TA is currently at 90 and I'm trying to keep the pH at 7.6. I'm seeing a daily pH rise of about .2-.3 which I counter by adding muriatic acid.

Adding the acid is slowly pulling down TA and I'm wondering if I will hit a balance point with the TA where the pH doesn't as much per day???
Second wondering if adding boric acid buffer the daily pH rise??

Wish I'd learned about this site years ago. Thanks TFP

You might consider a touch more CYA, but if you are confident your FC loss is as low as you say, no issue.

TA will need to come down to 50-60 ppm before pH rise slows down. I assume you use little fill water as you get rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.