Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
It's very frustrating that you drop a chunk of change on an iron gazebo (not the flimsy cheap ones) and there are no replacement supplies for them. After a big wind shredded the top canvas of our gazebo late last summer, I began to look around, research, contact manufacturers (even those that did not make mine) to find a replacement canvas top - nobody does them. They do sell replacement netting/screen sides (about $100) , but if you have damage to your canvas top, you must either buy a new gazebo or pay a boat canvas repair place to fix or create a new one. Their quote for a new canvas was $225. Really??? :shock: Really??? :grrrr:

I got fed up, took what was left of the old cavas top, layed out on the lawn and began to measure and chart what I would need to sew a new one myself. Yep, I have been ambitious and yes, I do sew - I have a specialty machine as I make custom saddle blankets for horse shows which works perfectly with the heavier material. Canvas duck material in the upholstery dept of the fabric store. Netting inserts, velcro and a lot of sewing and "fittings" - I am nearly done. It is heavier material than the old one - we put grommets in spots more advantageous to drainage than the original - more velcro fasteners for the frame, waterproofing canvas spray. It weighs a ton compared to the old one but still sits nicely on the frame. Just FYI for anyone thinking about this, it really isn't that complicated, not many individual pieces, lots of straight hems - it's just a large object to manipulate around the equipment when sewing. Uh, no, I won't be making any for friends and family. :lol:

Pictures will be posted when it's complete and up on the frame. I am hoping it will work out fine - stressing because I have my youngest son's graduation open house in my yard next week and now it's crunch time to get everything done.

Sounds like you're making a much better cover than the one being replaced.

Since I have zero sewing skills, I used this company

http://www.gardenwinds.com/ (actually their Canadian website www.gardenwindscanada.com) and had a very positive experience. First of all, they had the cover I needed; secondly, it was shipped via Purolator and arrived in two days.

Avoid www.mosquitocontrol.ca if you happen to find them via google. I've read bad reviews on them..

Well I finished the gazebo canvas top. Whew - what a big job sewing that monster, but it really should hold up well. Heavy tent canvas, gromets placed strategically for drainage, extra velcro attachment straps, double stitched seams, longer side flaps - the entire works sprayed with silicone tent sealant. It was windy when we put it up today and it never budged. Yay!! We put a candle chandlabra up in the center, got the wicker furniture set back in there, some nice Boston ferns and DONE. Ready for the graduation party on Friday night - I am exhausted from graduation prep and there is still another day of yard work to do.

While I was at work today, my boys rearranged the pool deck for me, finished most of the yard work, put the steps into the pool (the graduate actually got in and went under water to put the weights in the steps - water is only 62 degrees! They even put all my potted plants in the garage and covered my Koi ponds with tarps since we are supposed to get frost tonight (I know, can you stand it??!!!) It's too late to get pictures of the gazebo tonight but will get them tomorrow - I am very proud of the job I did on that canvas top as it looks way nicer than any of those I have seen in the store - I would not do it again though - too much heavy material to wrangle around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.