Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are getting ready to start construction on our pool. After I recover from the build, I'd like to build a future shower. We have the deck space and the builder said he would put a hose bib and deck drain next to the area on the patio.

I'll have lots of time to figure out design of the shower, but is there anything else I should be looking at working into the build to accommodate a shower?

PS - I've done some searching on showers on here and before anyone asks, I would use the shower to rinse off after yard work, I'm sure the kids will play in it, and taking an outdoor shower reminds me of the beach and is just freakin cool :)

Is said hose bibb going to be behind a mixing valve set for the perfect temp water? Or is this builder expecting you to shower with cold only? No... hose bib is not what you want unless you can mix both hot and cold piping into the hose bibb piping. That would mean a valve on both the cold and hot side, in your walls or wherever the water is coming from, and you'd have to set them manually, so everyone gets the same temp water.

For a shower you will need hot and cold supply lines plumbed at minimum up to where you might have the shower. They can be capped off for later use, but you really do need both hot and cold.

That being said, my ex husband found what we'd always talked about having for the yard with the pool at a garage sale a couple weeks ago, and I do now have a garden hose hooked up to a shower in my yard. But it's COLD!!!

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I have plans for a outdoor shower as well. Mine will be relatively easy as it will be right up against the side of the house. I have room for a nice privacy screen so it will make for a good changing area as well. Not sure if you need it in Texas but I would not even consider a outdoor shower in New England without hot water...

If I had an outdoor shower, it would never get used... :)
Once I get my outdoor shower I will most likely never use the indoor shower... :) well..... April -> October anyway.... ?

I have a outside shower, cold water only and only use it during the summer and it's great. I rinse off after getting out of the pool every time and even keep some plant friendly soap on hand after late night swims before jumping into bed. After doing yard work and trimming trees I always shower before getting in the pool. If I had hot and cold water I would use it year round and I do have that option next to the spa but have not done the minor plumbing to make it happen yet. Showering outside is nice.

Thanks. I'm not sure I would need hot water in Texas, but it certainly would extend use of it to year round.

There are solar heated showers like this:

Or I could go all out and attach a propane water heater like these:

I've got plenty of time to plan for the heating, surround, and shower head, but it sounds like I am good for now with a drain and water bib.

An outdoor shower was high on my list! I have hot water, a rain shower head, and handheld sprayer head too. We rinse the dog off and shower there after using the pool or hottub. My husband was super skeptical but he now says it’s his favorite thing that we did! Ours drains with the rest of the outdoor drains (pool deck drain, roof downspouts) because it’s not covered, so the city wouldn’t let us plumb to the sewer. That’s fine — I use biodegradable shampoo. I put a ton of hooks in the attached changing area and mostly leave my swimsuits out there.

I shower before swimming/hottub a lot. But after swimming/hottub, it’s nice to shower off and get out of my swimsuit and wrap up in a towel. I only have to dry off once that way! And I make less of a mess on the floor in the house. Our guests have loved it too. Showering with the sky above you is just fun somehow.

If you know where you're going to put it, I'd have a floor drain installed instead of just a side deck drain. That's something that's easy to do now and a huge pain to do later. And having the shower water run to a deck drain isn't ideal.

I'd also have hot and cold water ran to the location. And I'd have power ran to the area if it's not an easy task to run it there later. I'd run enough circuits for some lighting and an appliance (i.e. On demand water heater, etc.).

Here is how I did my outdoor shower. As other members have posted, it is quite the convenient feature and a total hit when guests come to swim. Kids love it enough to shower outdoors (as I do) instead of indoors. In Arizona, a solar heated fixture works incredibly well. Drainage was also "simple" and worked within my yard and decking design.

Shower.jpg

Shower Inside.jpg

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We’re doing an outdoor shower attached to our pool house (more like a shed) with a bathroom inside. Getting a small electric on demand water heater. If you plan on using it at night, I would recommend some form of overhead lighting. Also, make it big enough that you can change in it. If it’s just going to be for rinsing off, then you won’t even need an enclosure or heater. But if you want to actually shower in it, then plan it like an indoor shower. Just don’t use glass doors.

Great pictures. Love the solar outdoor shower idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an outdoor urinal type setup that doesn’t require a sewer hookup? Perhaps a gravel pit or something. Wouldn’t get a ton of use but would be invaluable on pool days (for the guys anyhow).

Great pictures. Love the solar outdoor shower idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an outdoor urinal type setup that doesn’t require a sewer hookup? Perhaps a gravel pit or something. Wouldn’t get a ton of use but would be invaluable on pool days (for the guys anyhow).
You’d need some way to rinse the area after use. Just have them walk to edge of the yard and use the nearest tree.

One more thing! You'll want a shelf of some sort --- We added ours as an afterthought, but I'm glad we did. Not something you need to plan ahead for necessarily, but might be good to keep in mind.

I have lights in our shower/changing area, but they attract bugs, so I mostly shower by moonlight if it's nighttime!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.