Oct 17, 2016
Round Rock/Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone,
My pool was handling the ridiculous temps fine until my power was turned off. Once I knew it wasn’t coming back on I drained the pump, filter and put in a piece of styrofoam and empty water bottles in the skimmers however, I forgot to drain the booster pump. I haven’t checked it yet because we now have ice on top of the 6-7 in of snow and I just slipped and fell straight on my back trying to get back to the pad. My question is, is there a specific process to prime the pump and filter after it has been offline and after the ice has melted? Here are pics showing our frozen pool. Appreciate the feedback.

Attachments

• 6FCCFDD0-5843-4435-ACCF-10C715DE1C84.jpeg
    6FCCFDD0-5843-4435-ACCF-10C715DE1C84.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 4CD1F4C4-20AB-4703-945F-DEE654E34E30.jpeg
    4CD1F4C4-20AB-4703-945F-DEE654E34E30.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 5B280A91-FFDA-45A9-A089-6865295D04C8.jpeg
    5B280A91-FFDA-45A9-A089-6865295D04C8.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 39
What you did after the power shut off was great. I know of 2 people who did none of those things. It is unfortunate you forgot about the booster pump. One thing this winter storm has shown us pool owners is to make that list of things to do. Down in Houston, we have that list for hurricanes and now developing one for winter storms should this happen again.
Best thing to do is let it thaw out. You need to inspect the pipe around the booster pump as well because it may have cracked.

Once everything is melted, it will be just normal start up. The pump will draw suction to prime and push water to fill filter, ensure the top valve of filter is open initially to let air out then close when water starts to squirt.
Remember that the water flows through the booster pump via the return line going to your pool (the suction of the booster pump is connected to the pool return line). So you just have to see if water does flow through it. Also, you may need to check if you have an inline Chlorinator. You want to make sure that has no cracks. Be sure to put lube on your pump strainer cap. as well as your cap on your inline Chlorinator.

Maybe a silver lining is if the booster pump is damaged, maybe consider a robot for the future. remove the booster and cap the line. This way no more concern about a booster pump.

You do not mention a heater, so assume you do not have that. Also, Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is

What you did after the power shut off was great. I know of 2 people who did none of those things. It is unfortunate you forgot about the booster pump. One thing this winter storm has shown us pool owners is to make that list of things to do. Down in Houston, we have that list for hurricanes and now developing one for winter storms should this happen again.
Best thing to do is let it thaw out. You need to inspect the pipe around the booster pump as well because it may have cracked.

Once everything is melted, it will be just normal start up. The pump will draw suction to prime and push water to fill filter, ensure the top valve of filter is open initially to let air out then close when water starts to squirt.
Remember that the water flows through the booster pump via the return line going to your pool (the suction of the booster pump is connected to the pool return line). So you just have to see if water does flow through it. Also, you may need to check if you have an inline Chlorinator. You want to make sure that has no cracks. Be sure to put lube on your pump strainer cap. as well as your cap on your inline Chlorinator.

Maybe a silver lining is if the booster pump is damaged, maybe consider a robot for the future. remove the booster and cap the line. This way no more concern about a booster pump.

You do not mention a heater, so assume you do not have that. Also, Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is
Thank you for the great info! I do not have a heater. I’ll be sure to update my signature as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.