Aug 30, 2017
Victoria, BC Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Heyo,

My 2006 came in the mail the other day. I just have a small above ground pool that's not set up yet for the season, but have struggled to have great water over the past couple of seasons. Hoping the new FAS/DPD kit will assist in that.

Thing is, I don't really know where to start. After I fill, do I run every test in the kit or only specific ones? After that, what's the appropriate schedule for the various tests?

I'm in Canada so getting the Taylor kit wasn't cheap and I'd like to ensure I don't blow reagents when I don't have to. Also, can I use the pool calculator app instead of all the charts in the Taylor book?

Thanks!

With a fresh fill you can skip the CYA test, there is no CYA in tap water. This works out well since that is the test the k-2006 is most lacking, you can only do a few CYA tests with it. Run all the other tests and adjust from there.

We recommend the PoolMath app, and yes you can absolutely use it or another app instead of the booklet that came with your kit.

With a fresh fill, you do NOT need to test FC, CC, or CYA. Do test the pH, TA, and CH. (Edited - sorry!)

Then, daily, do the FC test. Once you know what your pool needs, that can be reduced to every other day or so.
pH, every couple days to start, then weekly once you know what it acts like.
TA weekly.
CYA and CH, monthly. CYA also if you drain water for some reason.

You should source refills for the FAS-DPD and CYA reagents. Those you will use up most likely this season, maybe even before the end of the season.

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

Just to clarify, you said in the first line both to not run CYA and then do test CYA. I assume no?

I can get fairly inexpensive drop test refill kits with OTO and Phenol Red. Is that all I need for the chlorine and ph or is that completely different than the way the Taylor kit tests? Sorry for such a noob question haha.

Oh @Donldson I do have the pool math app. Like it a lot and will continue to use it :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

Just to clarify, you said in the first line both to not run CYA and then do test CYA. I assume no?

I can get fairly inexpensive drop test refill kits with OTO and Phenol Red. Is that all I need for the chlorine and ph or is that completely different than the way the Taylor kit tests? Sorry for such a noob question haha.
The K-2006 uses a phenol red pH test.

It has a FAS-DPD test that uses powder and drops instead of matching shades.

You don't need to buy any other testers.

You do not need to test CYA on a fresh fill because tap water will have no CYA in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.