From Clear to Crystal Clear?

Greg T

May 30, 2022
Pensacola, Florida
Hello! I am brand new to pool ownership. Got a Taylor test kit today. Chemistry looks ok I think. My water is clear, but I want super crystal clear….any suggestions? Pic attached has test results. I purchased ultra fine filters for my Dolphin cc plus and have been using daily.

Attachments

• 35A63070-C012-4D6A-962B-E25FCDFB311B.png
    35A63070-C012-4D6A-962B-E25FCDFB311B.png
    722.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 287068B7-BEF4-43B2-8E70-58475AC05FDF.png
    287068B7-BEF4-43B2-8E70-58475AC05FDF.png
    722.5 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to tfp 😊
Which kit do u have? Be sure to add it to your signature.
How did u get cya of 57?
If it looks anywhere in between 50 & 60 on the Taylor cya test you round up to the next “10” & call it 60. Chlorinate accordingly FC/CYA Levels .

Be sure to toggle on csi tracking in poolmath so u can take care of your pool surface properly.
How are u currently chlorinating?
Your ch is a little high.
Liquid chlorine or a swg is your best bet as they don’t add unwanted cya or calcium which build up & require water replacement to lower.

As far as the sparkle goes ✨ some like to add a little D.E. To their sand filter to “polish” the water & help filter what’s too fine for the sand alone to catch.
Here’s the how to👇
Your dolphin, with its fine filter cartridges, will also be like a little roving xtra filter.
If u are ever in doubt about the clarity you can always do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out the presence of organics. That’s the beauty of being in control and testing your own water - you can catch little problems BEFORE they become big ones 😎
Congrats on taking charge!

Welcome to tfp 😊
Which kit do u have? Be sure to add it to your signature.
How did u get cya of 57?
If it looks anywhere in between 50 & 60 on the Taylor cya test you round up to the next “10” & call it 60. Chlorinate accordingly FC/CYA Levels .

Be sure to toggle on csi tracking in poolmath so u can take care of your pool surface properly.
How are u currently chlorinating?
Your ch is a little high.
Liquid chlorine or a swg is your best bet as they don’t add unwanted cya or calcium which build up & require water replacement to lower.

As far as the sparkle goes ✨ some like to add a little D.E. To their sand filter to “polish” the water & help filter what’s too fine for the sand alone to catch.
Here’s the how to👇
Your dolphin, with its fine filter cartridges, will also be like a little roving xtra filter.
If u are ever in doubt about the clarity you can always do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out the presence of organics. That’s the beauty of being in control and testing your own water - you can catch little problems BEFORE they become big ones 😎
Congrats on taking charge!
Thanks for the tips Mdragger88. I have the Taylor 100 kit. I use pucks to chlorinate….no choice. I am not home for several days each week, so I can’t add liquid chlorine daily. I think I will try to reduce the number of pucks each week to bring the chlorine down a little. Will try the DE and the overnight ch test. Thanks again.

You don’t want to bring the chlorine down - you just don’t want to add anymore cya.
You must follow the FC/CYA Levels if u wish to stay algae & nasties free.
This is what each dissolved trichlor puck will do to your water according to PoolMath effects of adding 👇
9B6984D8-4702-4949-9BC1-C85DDED1099B.png
If u dose with liquid chlorine to the high fc target 🎯 in the chart or a little above you can likely go a couple days before your fc nears minimum. It is safe to swim w/ fc between minimum & slam level for your cya.
You may be able to do a combo of dosing higher w/ liquid chlorine & using a puck here & there along with frequent backwashing/refilling to keep your cya where it is or a dab lower whilst keeping fc in range at all times.
Especially in the hot florida weather & with rainy season.
The key is monitoring cya regularly & always chlorinating accordingly. Also knowing how each choice effects your chemistry beforehand & adjusting your choices accordingly.
Ps - a salt water chlorine generator would feed your pool chlorine for u every day - whether u are home or not. They are an expense up front because you’re basically paying for all your chlorine at once but they really do take work out of sourcing & adding chlorine daily. No method is set it & forget it though- frequent testing & adjustment based on environmental factors is required for all ways of chlorination.

You don’t want to bring the chlorine down - you just don’t want to add anymore cya.
You must follow the FC/CYA Levels if u wish to stay algae & nasties free.
This is what each dissolved trichlor puck will do to your water according to PoolMath effects of adding 👇
View attachment 420775
If u dose with liquid chlorine to the high fc target 🎯 in the chart or a little above you can likely go a couple days before your fc nears minimum. It is safe to swim w/ fc between minimum & slam level for your cya.
You may be able to do a combo of dosing higher w/ liquid chlorine & using a puck here & there along with frequent backwashing/refilling to keep your cya where it is or a dab lower whilst keeping fc in range at all times.
Especially in the hot florida weather & with rainy season.
The key is monitoring cya regularly & always chlorinating accordingly. Also knowing how each choice effects your chemistry beforehand & adjusting your choices accordingly.
Ps - a salt water chlorine generator would feed your pool chlorine for u every day - whether u are home or not. They are an expense up front because you’re basically paying for all your chlorine at once but they really do take work out of sourcing & adding chlorine daily. No method is set it & forget it though- frequent testing & adjustment based on environmental factors is required for all ways of chlorination.

This is super helpful. Gives me a lot to think about. I was thinking my next big expense would be a new DE filter to replace my current sand filter, but your SWG comment makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the conversation!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.