Frog System

baletsch

May 19, 2020
Maine
Moved from here.
What is a SWG system of sanitizing? And how is that different than the Frog system? I recently purchased a home with a 24 foot round above ground pool that appears in good condition (it is 6-7 years old) and I have no experience with swimming pools. I thought the Frog system looked like a good alternative to a chlorine system. Am I mistaken? Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: An SWG (salt water generator) uses salt to create chlorine gas, basically chlorine just like liquid pool shock or regular bleach. It's very convenient. The Frog System, like other mineral-based systems, uses copper in an attempt to keep water clean, but that's not really true. Plus, you never want copper in pool water.

I would suggest you read the following link. It has some really good info. Also see our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry as well. Let us know if you have more questions.

The real kicker to the FROG system is the cost associated through the season. I actually stopped using the FROG and went to liquid chlorine for a few years before eventually converting to an SWG. The only reason why I moved over to a salt system was because a heater was being plumbed in, if not the straight liquid approach was very straight forward. The true cost of the FROG (without liquid chlorine) would be $500 more per season.

In addition, the "pool store" recommendations of keeping low chlorine levels did not work. I was getting algae spots when the levels dropped below 2 ppm and they recommend between 1 ppm-2 ppm. Since removing the FROG, I have not seen a trace of algae in 5 + years. Because of how my pool is put together, with the rotating jets, I never even have to brush the walls after the initial clean up.

The FROG (whether it works or not), is truly a money maker for the manufacturer and the pool store, plus whomever is selling the product (bottom line). We are fortunate on the east coast to have "Ocean Odd Lot" that sells 12.5% for $3.00 per gallon (even until this day). The bad part is that the local store to me closed for good, and the other convenient store is closed for COVID-19. My friend went out with a truck and picked up 120 bottles and gave me 8 bottles. Given the cost of 6% bleach locally, no matter what, the 12.5% even stored for a few months is still a bargain.

Order a test kit, and track your progress. You will find that the FROG cartridges, etc. will cost a lot of money. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.