Frog SmartChlor cartridge Refills

Seaboz

Jan 7, 2021
Atlanta
Moved from here.
I'm a relatively new spa owner and like how the smartchlor cartridges are built into the side of the tub. But, as mentioned in several posts, they are high priced cartridges for essentially slow release Dichlor and "crushed granite and silver" minerals. With a little effort, I can pop open these cartridges, so I was wondering if there is a low cost chlorine solution I can refill into these cartridges instead of a $15 replacement every 3-4 weeks? I saw a YouTube video of someone crushing the 3" pool chlorine pucks and filling them up. I've read that the slow release chlorine is the same as the toilet bowl cleaners, but they probably have extra additives that I don't want. I don't mind putting in a little more effort if it saves $.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would be better served by just dosing w/ liquid chlorine after soaks. Trichlor pucks are quite acidic & dissolve to rapidly in the hot water conditions of a spa putting premature wear & tear on equipment & people.
Here’s the guide for using chlorine in your spa

If you’re not in to dosing manually as much you may consider a drop in salt water chlorine generator like the saltron mini to ease the burden. My last cell lasted 19 months so my monthly cost comes in at about $6/month - definitely worth the price of admission.

But, as mentioned in several posts, they are high priced cartridges for essentially slow release Dichlor and "crushed granite and silver" minerals. With a little effort, I can pop open these cartridges, so I was wondering if there is a low cost chlorine solution I can refill into these cartridges instead of a $15 replacement every 3-4 weeks?
It’s not dichlor, you’re correct it’s the same type as the slow release toilet bowl cleaners, plus silver. This combination has been EPA approved for hot tub sanitation.

Refilling isn’t really an option I’m aware of. 3” pool pucks are tricolor, which from what I’ve read dissolves too fast in hot tubs to be usable. This leaves either something like the Frog @ease system, with it’s price and downfalls, manual dosing, or a salt water chlorine generator like the Saltron Mini, which both me and @Mdragger88 have for our hot tubs.

Thanks, I'll look into the Saltron Mini but in the mean time, I'll probably have to deal with manual dosing. The Smartchlor dispensers usually last about 2 weeks before I notice a decline. If I can get another 2 weeks by adding SpaGuard Chlorine powder every other day, it is manageable. I guess I was looking for a way to fill the cartridges to get me that 2 weeks without daily checking.

Please remember to keep track of how much cya the spa guard is adding & switch to liquid chlorine (bleach) when cya reaches 30 ppm.
PoolMath effects of adding is helpful with this & also will show its effects on ph
No matter your choice of sanitation method it’s imperative to test your water regularly with a recommended kit to ensure you’re not bathing in bacteria soup.
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.