Freshly refilled... add salt, CYA, and muriatic at same time?

Apr 6, 2014
phoenix
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 540
This might be a silly question. I’m finally refilling my pool tonight. Once full, should I add my bags of salt (SWG) and wait a day before checking my pool chemistry and then adding the CYA and muriatic acid? Or should I test my salt and chemicals at the same time and add everything all at once? I might be overthinking this... just not sure if the salt will change the TA, etc. Thank you for any help!

I should've asked this earlier ..... it's not a new pebble or plaster job is it? If not, dump the salt now and sweep it around to let it start mixing for 24 hrs. Once the pool is full and water is moving, you can add the stabilizer right away via the sock method to get it soaking (target of 70). Let the water mix for about 30-40 minutes before you grab a sample to test everything. You can expect the FC to be next to zero, so add about 5-6 ppm worth of chlorine and ensure it never drops below 4 until you get the SWG operational. I suspect you may need to adjust the pH a little, but you can post back with any other questions at that point.

Now if this WAS a new resurface, everything above changes, so let us know.

You may need some liquid chlorine to get levels up before adding salt. It will take some time for the salt to make enough chlorine for protection from the valley sun.

One thing I know is to be ready to stir the salt as you add it in a little at a time, or add the salt to a bucket of water to dissolve it first. Then add it to the pool.

I should've asked this earlier ..... it's not a new pebble or plaster job is it? If not, dump the salt now and sweep it around to let it start mixing for 24 hrs. Once the pool is full and water is moving, you can add the stabilizer right away via the sock method to get it soaking (target of 70). Let the water mix for about 30-40 minutes before you grab a sample to test everything. You can expect the FC to be next to zero, so add about 5-6 ppm worth of chlorine and ensure it never drops below 4 until you get the SWG operational. I suspect you may need to adjust the pH a little, but you can post back with any other questions at that point.

Now if this WAS a new resurface, everything above changes, so let us know.
It’s an existing pool. To be sure I’m following everything okay, I can add the salt even before the pool is full as long as I mix. Then once the pool is full, add the stabilizer (would adding a liquid be easier than the sock method?). Test the water after 30 minutes and add liquid chlorine (bleach?). Did I get everything right? Thank you for your help!

You may need some liquid chlorine to get levels up before adding salt. It will take some time for the salt to make enough chlorine for protection from the valley sun.

One thing I know is to be ready to stir the salt as you add it in a little at a time, or add the salt to a bucket of water to dissolve it first. Then add it to the pool.
Thank you. For the liquid chlorine, I can use regular bleach at the levels I get in the calculator, right?

I have not used bleach for laundry in the pool, but have read where others have used plain unscented bleach in a pinch, but it has less chlorine vs. liquid pool chlorine.

Reactions: BassPlayingDude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.