Frequent Pinhole Leaks in Liner

Jul 21, 2020
Virginia Beach, VA
I had my AGP put in last June, so we are nearing the end of our 2nd season. Over this time period, I have had to patch six different tiny pinhole leaks. Five leaks have occurred on the bottom and near the wall and one leak was on the wall near the bottom. No leaks have been on any seams (which the pool store tells me is the only thing that would be their problem). I think the installers did a pretty poor job with the sand bottom as it is pretty lumpy, but in my opinion, this shouldn't be causing leaks. I haven't been able to determine the cause of the leaks, but I am suspicious that maybe when acorns or small twigs have fallen in, and then I use the Dolphin 10 robot, maybe the robot is sort of grinding these sharp objects into the liner when it runs into the wall and spins its tracks there for a moment.

My questions to the forum are:

1. Is it common for an AGP liner to get so many leaks? Is three leaks per season crazy or just normal? I am wondering if I need to go back to the pool store and haggle for a new liner.
2. Is my theory about the robot feasible?
3. Does anyone have recommendations for how to stay on the bottom to make repairs? I have been having my kid stand on my back to hold me down, but that isn't going to work if I have to do another October repair in a wetsuit.

Thanks.

There have been reports about the Dolphin causing pinhole leaks, but I don't know how accurate they are.

To stay on the bottom. you could get a weight belt, like for diving. But make sure that you know what you're doing so that you don't have a problem.

What kind of robot? I had 22 holes in three months on a brand new liner from a Dolphin. After months of fighting with Maytronics they switched my robot for my current one. I have had zero leaks in my liner since the switch four years ago.

Could ants be causing the problem?

What kind of robot? I had 22 holes in three months on a brand new liner from a Dolphin. After months of fighting with Maytronics they switched my robot for my current one. I have had zero leaks in my liner since the switch four years ago.

Could ants be causing the problem?
Are ants known to chew through vinyl liners? I have noticed some of those tiny sugar ants in a few places around the pool, occasionally on the wall and rail.

I posted in this thread a few months ago.

If you have a problem with ants I highly recommend the stuff I used. This summer has been awesome without the ants. I have treated my yard twice once early spring and again after all the spring rains and that has been it. What a game changer. I finally stopped looking for ants in my house, for the first time in six years we are ant free. We would lay in bed at night and watch the ants crawling on the ceiling.

Reactions: chillermonster
Chiller- did you lay a tarp or ground cover under the pool (over the sand)?

Maddie
There was a weed barrier landscape fabric that was part of the install kit I bought. I should have watched the installers like a hawk, but I didn't. I think that the layers went down in this order: sand - herbicide - groundcloth - liner.

What are you thinking might be the issue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.