ejs873

Jan 29, 2021
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
With all this talk of freeze protection lately it reminded me of an "issue" I've noticed with my freeze protection. I have a Jandy VSPLUS hp pump and the iAquaLink app to control everything. I noticed earlier in the year that the freeze protection would kick on when it was around 45 degrees outside. I asked the company that installed my pool and they said that this pump has the freeze protection built in and even if I change the temp on the main box, it wont override the pump. That seems odd that I cant change the setting anywhere. Does anyone know if this is true? Kicking the pumps on at 45 degrees is just wasting electricity and hours on the pump. Thanks

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Check the owner manual for your pump model, which you should be able to find online. Sorry, don't know Jandy. My Pentair pump's freeze protection is also built-in, and works independently from, and overrides, the freeze protection built-in to my automation controller. But my pump's freeze protection settings are available through the pump's interface, and can be altered or turned off altogether.

If this matters, the pump's freeze protection is not really intended to protect your plumbing, that's a side-benefit. The pump's freeze protection is intended to protect its internal workings (electronics, motor, impeller, etc). It just happens to push water to do so. This is important if the pump is installed such that it is not subjected to the same temperature as the pool plumbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejs873
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.