Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I have noticed this year that when my freeze protect comes on during the night, the water return lines have constant big air bubbles going back into the pool. I have also noticed that the water that’s supposed to circulate up to the roof ,can’t seem to make it up there, so I have loud “running water “ sounds on the outside wall of my bedroom (loud and annoying). The pump speed is at 2800 and works fine on solar heat. Also no bubbles when it’s on heat. What could the problem be? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure the pump is running at 2800 in freeze mode? Your symptoms sound like it's running too slowly. Perhaps freeze mode is set to run slower. I believe best practice is to drain the panels & disable solar during possible freeze months. That's what I do.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your quick response. I just double checked and the pump is on freeze protect now and it’s at 2800. The pool is bubbling away. I will take your advice and drain and disable it. It jumps on at 40• anyway (lowest it goes). Nothing is freezing at 40•. Do you think there may be a defect/break in the solar tubes or connectors somewhere, allowing air in? I don’t recall having that problem with the solar heat on though. Thanks very much.

It's odd that you have different results at the same pump speed. I don't dare to guess at a diagnosis remotely.

The good news is that with the panels out of the loop, you can run freeze mode at a much slower speed. My panels need 2500 to close the vacuum relief valves in normal use, but without them, I run freeze mode at 850 just to keep water moving.

I agree, I know the water doesn’t make it to the roof at a lower speed. I don’t know why freeze protect wants to go to the the roof in the first place, unless it’s much warmer up there? Personally I would avoid involving any more equipment than is absolutely necessary for the freeze protect. But whenever freeze kicks in, it basically does what the solar heating does: up to the roof. My display says 2800. I can adjust it, but that’s what the installer told me to leave it on. Not sure what’s going on. I can disable the freeze protect, but I still wonder what changed. I have to have the guys come annually and check things out for the warranty, so I will have them figure it out next month. In the meantime I’ll shut it down. Thank you guys so much for your assistance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.