Free Chlorine requirements in cooler weather?

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
I live in Florida so my pool is open year round. Since April when I said goodbye to my pool service, I’ve been taking care of the pool myself. With the knowledge and expertise on this site, all is well. Thank you.

My question is about FC requirements with cooler weather and obviously cooler pool water. We are getting almost the same UV from sunny days here but I’ve turned my SWCG down to 20% and it has maintained FC quite well. In the hotter months, 60% would hardly keep up and I would occasionally supplement with liquid chlorine.

Is this typical of cooler weather? All my logs are in the sig file if you care to comment. Thanks.

We are getting almost the same UV from sunny days here but I’ve turned my SWCG down to 20% and it has maintained FC quite well.

You are getting less UV in the Winter then in the Summer. The sun is higher in the sky in the Summer giving the pool greater UV intensity.

FC demand is expected to drop in the Winter.

Put “sun angle by season” into your favorite search engine for more on the topic.

Reactions: Charlie227
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.