Free chlorine increased in salt pool

Spondu

In The Industry
Feb 28, 2021
France
Just visited a salt pool which has had the electrolyser turned off for the winter. Last month when I checked the free chlorine was at 6.03 ppm. This time it's 9.82 ppm. No chlorine has been added and the pool temperature is roughly the same at 10 Deg C. Combined chlorine is still low. The pool is on 6 hours per day pump cycle and is kept covered. Any ideas what is going on?

S,

Free chlorine can't go up unless it is somehow added.. Are you sure you are testing for FC and not Total Chlorine?? (TC = FC+CC)

Tell us what you are using to run your tests..

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

Free chlorine can't go up unless it is somehow added.. Are you sure you are testing for FC and not Total Chlorine?? (TC = FC+CC)

Tell us what you are using to run your tests..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. As you say, I don't know of a chemical mechanism for the free chlorine to increase. That's's why I resorted to the post. It is definitely free chlorine that has been measured. I'm using a PoolLab 1.0 photometer which has always been spot on when verified against pool samples taken into a pool analysis house. I am a PhD chemist by training, hence why I am head scratching on this one. My initial thought was that somehow the electrolyser was still operating even though switched off at the control panel but that still doesn't make any sense as it would not be producing chlorine at these temperatures. I'm the only person who has access to the pool and no chemicals have been added since the autumn. The pool clearly has not gone through breakpoint as the combined chlorine is half that of the free chlorine but both values are high nevertheless. I have elected to give it a couple of weeks and then recheck but is still very weird.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Very odd indeed. Perhaps a pic or two of your equipment pad and updating your signature with your pool and equipment info might give us a bit ore insight to your scenario. Be sure to include your test kit in that signature. Were any other chemicals added to the water back in August before closing for winter?

Not sure what test kits you have available to you in France. I assume probably not the TF kits that are popular here in the US. I don't have any experience with the optical kits. Do they use titration? Is there a way to calibrate it? A picture of the test kit and the labels of your reagents might be helpful too.

S,

I suspect that something is causing the FC test to read higher than it actually is... (We know the FC can't actually go up, so the test result must be wrong..)

Let's see if @JamesW knows what that might be...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not sure what test kits you have available to you in France. I assume probably not the TF kits that are popular here in the US. I don't have any experience with the optical kits. Do they use titration? Is there a way to calibrate it? A picture of the test kit and the labels of your reagents might be helpful too.
Hi. The PoolLab 1.0 is a German photometer widely used in Europe and has proved to be both accurate and reliable. As a photometer, it uses tablet reagents which are dissolved in a 10ml water sample. I will send photos later.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Very odd indeed. Perhaps a pic or two of your equipment pad and updating your signature with your pool and equipment info might give us a bit ore insight to your scenario. Be sure to include your test kit in that signature. Were any other chemicals added to the water back in August before closing for winter?
The only chemicals added were hivernage and anti-alg, nothing else. The electrolyser is supposedly inop so the pool is hand dosed as necessary but it hasn't required any to date.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was the original CC and what is it now?

What are the ingredients of these chemicals and how much was added?
Hi there. I've taken over from a previous pool operator who added the chemicals so I cannot be certain of the dose added. Hivernage is essentially ethylene glycol to prevent water from freezing and anti-alg is a biocide used here to prevent algae growth.

Here's a you tube video showing the use of the photometer...https://youtu.be/GhdcbArqz5s

The chemicals were added back in October 2020. Since then no chemicals added.
Were the chemicals added before or after you did your first test?

Hivernage is essentially ethylene glycol to prevent water from freezing
Are you saying that you just pour ethylene glycol into the pool to prevent freezing?

It's highly unlikely that ethylene glycol would be in pool chemicals. Where did you get this information?

That still does not tell us what was added or when it was added relative to your tests.

You need to know what you're adding before you add it.

You need to be more clear in what information you're providing if it is going to make any sense to anyone.

Details matter.

What exactly was done and when?

Here is the link to the product...https://www.mariusferrat.fr/produits-de-traitement/15251-anti-algues-5l-aquapure-3661578034216.html
The product description says that it "Kills all bacteria in the pool" but I can't find an MSDS (manufacturing safety data sheet) for it. Does it contain Chlorine or some other sanitizer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.