Fountain pipe has frozen water in it

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I have a fountain that I forgot to cap and rain water got in the pipes that bring the water back to the fountain. I am not sure how far down it is frozen, probably just the main area near the floor of the fountain.
Right now I have the fountain covered and have a heater in there near one of the pipes (there are two that meet to one pipe undergournd) and it is helping to thaw that one.

I also have a pool heater, should I heat the water and open that valve back to the fountain a little and let warm water push against it a little to see if it will melt from the inside?

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Running your pool heater will not help defrost that pipe and may damage the heater from condensation.

All you can do is try and get heat to the pipe where you think the ice blockage is.

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I have had the fountain covered with a tarp and have a heater in there. It has melted the top of the water but I still cant get water through. Should i keep trying this or is there just no point and just hope I don't have any pipe issues?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I would keep the heater going and the tarp on. It may help and cannot hurt.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.