LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP mods. I've been watching a video of a family purchasing a pool.
For your reading pleasure:
The pool guy discusses the types of filters available and which to use for the family's new pool.
The Father says where they live "(unintelligible)"
The pool guy then tells the father "In that area you could be just out far enough that you're on a tough well."
Father "We have iron."
Pool guy "If metals are in it then the sand's gonna handle that better than the cartridge. What will end up happening with the cartridge. It turns red or orange and it rusts by absorbing all that stuff. And eventually it gets gunked up to the point where you have to buy new ones more often than you should. You should be able to, with the cartridge filters, last about a year, maybe 2 years. But with hard water you're lucky to get, you know, a couple months out of the season . . ."
Father "Do you have to do anything with the sand filters?"
Pool guy "With the sand, you don't. Change out the sand once every 3-5 years. Unless you have extremely, extreeeemally hard water. You have to have levels (unintelligible words . . )"
Father "How do you know when to change out the sand?"
Pool guy "When you backwash to the point where it's still high pressure in there. That means some of the calcium might have actually clumped it up to the point where it doesn't work. Or if sand starts to spit out into your pool. That means your sand filter's either broken or just means that your sand's finally cooked and you need to get new sand." :laughblue:

They sold him a 27 ft AG pool, winter cover, in-line chlorination system, 2 hp pump, 250 pounds of sand, a start up kit, enough chemicals to last about 2 weeks then come in for free water testing for more chemicals and free water testing any time. :deal:

Entertaining to watch.
At the end of the video, the mother was giggling, the son was jumping around excited and the father pretended to cry.

Last edited:
Blind leading the blind.. sad really but the pool guy is clueless and the new owner is also clueless... it usually takes thousands of dollars and a green pool to find us :)

• Sad
Reactions: mariane
Hi TFP mods. I've been watching a video of a family purchasing a pool.
For your reading pleasure:
The pool guy discusses the types of filters available and which to use for the family's new pool.
The Father says where they live "(unintelligible)"
The pool guy then tells the father "In that area you could be just out far enough that you're on a tough well."
Father "We have iron."
Pool guy "If metals are in it then the sand's gonna handle that better than the cartridge. What will end up happening with the cartridge. It turns red or orange and it rusts by absorbing all that stuff. And eventually it gets gunked up to the point where you have to buy new ones more often than you should. You should be able to, with the cartridge filters, last about a year, maybe 2 years. But with hard water you're lucky to get, you know, a couple months out of the season . . ."
Father "Do you have to do anything with the sand filters?"
Pool guy "With the sand, you don't. Change out the sand once every 3-5 years. Unless you have extremely, extreeeemally hard water. You have to have levels (unintelligible words . . )"
Father "How do you know when to change out the sand?"
Pool guy "When you backwash to the point where it's still high pressure in there. That means some of the calcium might have actually clumped it up to the point where it doesn't work. Or if sand starts to spit out into your pool. That means your sand filter's either broken or just means that your sand's finally cooked and you need to get new sand." :laughblue:

They sold him a 27 ft AG pool, winter cover, in-line chlorination system, 2 hp pump, 250 pounds of sand, a start up kit, enough chemicals to last about 2 weeks then come in for free water testing for more chemicals and free water testing any time. :deal:

Entertaining to watch.
At the end of the video, the mother was giggling, the son was jumping around excited and the father pretended to cry.
🤦‍♀️

• Haha
full

I was lucky. When I got my pooI I googled something like, how much chlorine to put in my pool, and I found TFP!
That's more or less what happened to me. Someone at work didn't believe me that you can take the winter cover off your pool and it isn't green. I had to take a video last year to show him. Sure there's some stuff on the bottom, but the water was clear.

When I first found tfp i had a little kiddie pool (blow up ring style)with no pump - from reading multiple threads here I learned that if you are in that situation & have to just dump your water every so often that you need to do it BEFORE the grass under the pool dies & turns rancid. Then you can just move it to a new spot (it actually kills the weeds if u time it right).
I forgot one week & it was horrible!
Like grave digger horrible 🤢☠️
I just had a little hth kit & no $$ but i made due with the knowledge on the forum & got the fundamentals sorted out.
The look my husband gave the 1st time i put bleach in the pool was priceless 😂 - he was like “so, u just believe everything u read on the internet?” Fast forward nearly 10 years later - he’s explaining to people why i put bleach in the pool & that apparently it works so he doesn’t ask too many questions 🤣
We’ve come a long way!
From then to now I always tell people who ask me for pool advice to type any pool question/problem they can think of into google with tfp behind it because most every situation has already been answered at some point on the forum/ pool school. That is the reason I never posted for years - i had no need- all my questions were already answered with a quick search 😊

. . . . . type any pool question/problem they can think of into google with tfp behind it because most every situation has already been answered at some point on the forum/ pool school. . . . . . - all my questions were already answered with a quick search 😊
Mdragger88, This is a great post. Funny how our friends/family's thoughts of TFP change once they see the great results. For sure, getting them to follow it is another story.

Also thanks for the reminder of how to search for answers. I've never tried it using google with tfp after the question. I'll be doing it that way from now on. :wave:

I stay logged in now & always have a tfp window open so I just use the forum search bar but for years I did it the google way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I stay logged in now & always have a tfp window open so I just use the forum search bar but for years I did it the google way.
I can't seem to find answers easily on tfp search bar but maybe I'm not using the right words. LOL
If I can't seem to get any good hits one way, I'll have to try the other. :snorkle:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.