For the techs or "advice givers" out there

Pool Clown

In The Industry
Sep 5, 2008
Silicon Valley, CA
I came across this in another forum,
Radio Reference
and thought that these would be good great guidelines if you are to offer advice. Not all of them necessarily apply, but are at least good habits to apply in life or career.

Disclaimer: These were taken from a members' signature. I hope that he wont mind since i'm posting it for the purposes of personal enrichment and not attempting to gain financially from it.

1. Never, ever, lie.
It is OK to be wrong (but own up to it as soon as you realize it) but never, ever, lie.
As soon as you are caught in a lie you lose all trust and respect.

2. Be the authority.
If you don't know the answer, either don't answer or go find out before you do.
See #1. Making up an answer is just another kind of lie. If you aren't sure, say you aren't sure (or IIRC).
It is OK to say "I don't know."

3. Never trash talk the competition. OR OTHER MEMBERS
Trying to "win" a customer by making the other player look bad makes you look worse.
Complimenting the competition when they do something right wins you more customers in the long run.

4. Never react to personal attacks.
They don't actually know you, and everyone else knows it.
Their attacks make them look bad.
Your silence makes you look better.

5. When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.
Customers are not stupid. Ignoring or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.
If necessary, check with legal or senior management before commenting.

6. Never promise a fix you cannot deliver.
Under promise and over deliver.
Don't make absolute performance claims -- YMMV is never so true as with radio products.

7. Never get angry.
Ok, this can be tough. You can get angry, but your online persona must be above the fray. If it is necessary to reply to an accusing post, reply only with facts.
Part of this also means don't get involved in flame wars. Let them burn themselves out, then address any legitimate issues calmly and professionally.

8. Keep a sense of humor.
Maybe this should have been #1...

9. Write well. I find this one very important
Poor spelling, grammar, and lack of clarity makes the persona and your company look ignorant.
Write, read, rewrite, then post.

10. If it can or should be handled one-on-one, then by all means, don't put it on the group lists.
Direct messages (when appropriate) are both appreciated and can be used to calm stormy waters.

If this thread becomes a problem, either here or there, it will be removed.

That's great advice Pool Clown.
The moderators here on TFP are great ones, and are here to handle "issues" which may pop up from time to time.

If you ever happen to read a post that you feel needs mod attention, just click the little triangle at the bottom left of the post, and that will alert the mods to have a look specifically at it. As a former Mod, I can assure you, it will be looked at.

Dang! Only 1 out of 10 ... looks like I got lots of "room for improvement" :D

(I'm practicing #8....)

As you say, definitely good advice for online and in the real world too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.