For anyone wanting to successfully use baquacil....

anthonypool89

Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
I think I may have found the best solution to controlling the usual issues that baqua pools are plagued with- the white water mold, pink slime, cloudy water, inability to hold a peroxide reading, etc. - I've started doing the following: 1) test regularly for peroxide and biguanide and add enough to keep the levels up 2) add one container of "Ahhsome" pool water clarifier monthly 3) Use 2 tablets (or whatever depending on how many gallons) of Aqua Finesse Pool Water Care Tablets in the skimmer weekly 4) CDX once weekly, along with algaecide once a week I have had very few problems, and indeed posted a picture here last season that some people found rather impressive for a baquacil pool in terms of water clarity. Granted, the system I'm using is expensive!!! So if money is the key issue, then this is not the way to go for you. At this point, as much as I've ranted on this forum about being ready to go back to chlorine (and yet preferring not to), I'm content to stay with what I'm doing. Just my two cents...

Forgot to mention that I keep detailed notes on everything - results of all tests, when which products are added, etc. - using two spreadsheets that I created on my laptop. I know now that in years past I was relying on a fairly fixed pattern (or guesstimating) as to when to add things and how much - especially peroxide. Doesn't work. I buy enough peroxide to last for (hopefully) the entire season and ...yeah...it's probably about 6-7 boxes of 4 gallons each. If I need more, then so be it. Once the water temp gets into the mid-80s, that's when I really have to be at the top of my game with regards to frequent testing and adding. Also, we are literally surrounded by actively-worked farm fields - which probably makes running a pool here even more difficult no matter what system I'd be using. I've come to the conclusion that IF I'm going to continue with baquacil, I need to spend whatever it takes and not try to cut corners with adding B and C.

Last edited:

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
It’s good that you have found a way to make bianguinide work for you, since it is your preferred sanitizer. I also appreciate your openness about the cost of using it effectively, and the amount of attention it requires to be successful. It is a sanitation system that is not very forgiving once mistakes are made that cause water quality to decline. This is all good information to have when making a choice between chlorine and bianguinide for sanitation. Thank you for sharing your insights with us.

anthonypool89

Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
zea3...thanks. I should have added one more item that is probably an important one - last summer I decided to buy another extra set of DE grids (not sure why I didn't do this years ago). It seems to make some sense that, when the grids are taken out and hosed off - then when they are put back in - whatever residual unwanted stuff is still in there will soon enough start creating problems again along with quickly increasing pressure, then followed by another round of taking apart the filter. Ideally, the set of grids not being used at the time should be chemically cleaned while out of use, but I haven't gotten that over-zealous yet :) However, it seems that the grids that are allowed to dry out throughly (thereby alternating grids) provide for longer filter cycles. It just seems a bit silly to have to take the pool out of service for a day or two while the sole set of grids is soaking in cleaning solution (I use a large bucket). By having an extra set, this is not an issue.