DiannJ

Sep 24, 2022
Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
To start we've realized the error of our ways with the pool store and ez pool for our first year as pool owners. We started to get a white mold, have super shocked it 2xs, cleaned the filter and think we may have eradicated it but know we need chlorine an cya to keep it away and in order to close it properly to not get again.
Will be getting Taylor k2006c kit tomorrow to get better pool results Got these from the pool store for now, where should we start?? thanks for the help

FC .38
TC .63
CC .25
PH 7.5
TA 89
CH 336
CYA 5
COPPER 0
IRON 0
PHOSPHATES 1030
SI .4

Last edited:
The experts here don't like pool store test results. Those tests are unreliable. You may have scale, not mold. But, you may need to do a SLAM. First thing you should do is get liquid chlorine in ASAP. I would bring it up to 4-5ppm and keep it there daily. You're probably done swimming this season, so you can wait on the CYA till next spring.

Once you get the test kit, post those results for further help.

Reactions: DiannJ
The experts here don't like pool store test results. Those tests are unreliable. You may have scale, not mold. But, you may need to do a SLAM. First thing you should do is get liquid chlorine in ASAP. I would bring it up to 4-5ppm and keep it there daily. You're probably done swimming this season, so you can wait on the CYA till next spring.

It was like like tissue paper, with research I am pretty sure was white mold, I will get the chlorine in ASAP and post the results when the test gets here tomorrow

Reactions: Mdragger88
If it looked like pieces of tissue paper, yes, that's mold. So you've been using liquid chlorine (according to your info) but still got white water mold? Typically it's not a problem at all - from what I'm told - when using chlorine. What is the "EZ Pool" you refer to?

We are just now switching from ez pool products to FTP and using liquid chlorine due to getting the white mold. Ez pool is a non chlorine product that pool companies are convincing pool owners to use due to it's ease. Once a week you put a certain amount in the pool along with the non stabilized hypochlorite puck and test your water once a month. Even being new to this, I knew that wasn't enough and got it tested much more frequently than that, the store owner actually yelled at me one day for testing too often. I also asked about the lack of chlorine and how the water would stay clean without it and got a vague answer. Not knowing about pool chemicals and chemistry of pools a year ago we thought it would be something to use until we were more educated in chlorine use and here we are...

• Sad
Weird that the pool store test shows zero copper, but the EZ Pool chems are copper sulfate based.
The recommendation to add 4-5ppm daily of liquid chlorine is the right move until you have a proper test kit and can post results.

Don’t be surprised if FC is consumed quickly if you don’t have CYA in the water - even as the days get shorter, a full sunny day can wreck 4-5ppm quite easily.

Weird that the pool store test shows zero copper, but the EZ Pool chems are copper sulfate based.
The recommendation to add 4-5ppm daily of liquid chlorine is the right move until you have a proper test kit and can post results.

Don’t be surprised if FC is consumed quickly if you don’t have CYA in the water - even as the days get shorter, a full sunny day can wreck 4-5ppm quite easily.
I'm guessing/hoping it's because we haven't used EZ pool that long?
Should I put cya in the water too?
Fortunately the next 5 days will be cloudy and raining.
Kit should be here tomorrow
Thanks for your help

Yeah but you mentioned (assumedly) non-stablilized sodium hypochlorite NaOCL - which is essentially chlorine gas dissolved in sodium hydroxide, so not sure why this EZ is billed as a "non chlorine" system. Non-stabilized = need CYA.
My guess is because it's such a minimal amount of chlorine and cya is basically non existent. When i get water tested the FC, TC are always less than 1ppm, usually around .25 cya is always around 5, they tell you to ignore those numbers they don't matter when using ez pool, they're only concerned with ph, alk and ch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool store testing is always weird! The real issue I see with the results, besides the fact we can not trust them, is the only test TFP members would ever use a pool store for is a metals test. It is the one test that might have some relevance on issues we may have that we can not test on our own with the Taytlor or TFTest kit. So to use copper products, and the pool store you buy them from shows zero in their testing , you know the entire sheet of paper with the numbers on them can be thrown right away.

the store owner actually yelled at me one day for testing too often.
even more odd! This crazy method of pool care, sold by this crazy pool store owner, and he is gonna yell because you want to make sure everything is working. Besides being a really bad idea to be sold, I would never go back to that store, even if I needed a gallon of chlorine and I could walk there. That owner, and that system, is borderline dishonest at best. Would hate to see what it even cost the OP over this time.

The great news the system was identified as being :poop: and TFP methods here we come! This forum is full of great people excited to help newcomers who have been led astray and get to a real trouble free pool.

Reactions: DiannJ
Pool store testing is always weird! The real issue I see with the results, besides the fact we can not trust them, is the only test TFP members would ever use a pool store for is a metals test. It is the one test that might have some relevance on issues we may have that we can not test on our own with the Taytlor or TFTest kit. So to use copper products, and the pool store you buy them from shows zero in their testing , you know the entire sheet of paper with the numbers on them can be thrown right away.

even more odd! This crazy method of pool care, sold by this crazy pool store owner, and he is gonna yell because you want to make sure everything is working. Besides being a really bad idea to be sold, I would never go back to that store, even if I needed a gallon of chlorine and I could walk there. That owner, and that system, is borderline dishonest at best. Would hate to see what it even cost the OP over this time.

The great news the system was identified as being :poop: and TFP methods here we come! This forum is full of great people excited to help newcomers who have been led astray and get to a real trouble free pool.WHlllle aren't the only people she has a bad repoire with, we had a woman come over and ask us to help her with her pool cause she refuses to speak with the woman any more.

To start we've realized the error of our ways with the pool store and ez pool for our first year as pool owners. We started to get a white mold, have super shocked it 2xs, cleaned the filter and think we may have eradicated it but know we need chlorine an cya to keep it away and in order to close it properly to not get again.
Will be getting Taylor k2006c kit tomorrow to get better pool results Got these from the pool store for now, where should we start?? thanks for the help

FC .38
TC .63
CC .25
PH 7.5
TA 89
CH 336
CYA 5
COPPER 0
IRON 0
PHOSPHATES 1030
SI .4
K2006c arrived these are the results using it this afternoon
TA 80
PH 7.4
CH 330
CYA Less than 30, could clearly see black dot
FC 0.6
CC 0.2
TC 0.8
We obviously needed chlorine, so we used the pool math app and added 57oz it recommended
I retested FC CC 4 hrs later results are
FC 2.2
CC 0.0
TC 2.2s
hould I add more bleach tonight or wait and retest in the morning? Should I also retest the pH and TA each time too?

Here's today's results
TA 80
PH 7.4
CH 330
CYA Less than 30, could clearly see black dot
FC 0.6
CC 0.2
TC 0.8
We put in 57 oz bleach per the pool math app, I rechecked FC and CC 4 hrs later and it's
FC 2.2
CC 0
Should we add more chlorine tonight or wait to retest in morning and should we also retest pH and TA?

Should we add more chlorine tonight or wait to retest in morning and should we also retest pH and TA?

Your pH and TA are fine.

Get your FC up to 4-5 ppm, tonight if you can.

Add 30 ppm of dry stabilizer using the sock method. Do not put dry stabilizer in your skimmer.

Ez pool (aka queasy pool) is a mixture of the following:
1) Potassium persulfate (potassium peroxydisulfate)
2) Sodium bisulfate
3) Ammonium chloride
4) Calcium chloride
5) Sodium Bicarbonate
6) Aluminum chloride (possibly Aluminum chlorohydrate, which is what is in HTH Green to Blue).
7) Copper sulfate
ohsweetbabyjeezus.... its like swimming in a chemical soup! Blech.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Ez pool (aka queasy pool) is a mixture of the following:
1) Potassium persulfate (potassium peroxydisulfate)
2) Sodium bisulfate
3) Ammonium chloride
4) Calcium chloride
5) Sodium Bicarbonate
6) Aluminum chloride (possibly Aluminum chlorohydrate, which is what is in HTH Green to Blue).
7) Copper sulfate
Oh boy….

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.