Folks in NC- do you close pool or keep pool open year round?

kewpie

Feb 19, 2017
Chapel Hill, NC
Hi we just installed an above ground pool this year...wondering whether I should close or keep it open. Please advice the pros and cons. I did install a timer to run my pump at low speed if needed...if closing pool, what do I need to buy? Thx!!

Does your timer have freeze protection to automatically go on if temperature drops and you are not around?

What will you do if your pump fails in freezing weather? Every winter we have some members in a panic because their pump failed and the temperatures are below freezing.

I bought the timer with freeze protection..so hoping it’ll work...is there anything I can do to prevent pump failure? Is the best action to close pool? This is my first year of owning the pool so I don’t have any equipment or stuff yet...do I just buy a cover and call the pool company? Thx!

Thank you! I have some algae that is very stubborn...did SLAM a few weeks ago and they are back...can I just keep SLAMMing then close the pool? I am not confident that I can get rid of them completely and feeling defeated...

Try the SLAM Process again if you have time. Make sure you lower your pH to 7.2-7.4, check your CYA and round up, and use the SLAM FC from the FC/CYA Levels. Check your FC every few hours if you can and raise it back to SLAM FC level.

Then let FC drift down to half of SLAM FC level and add Polyquat 60 and let pump circulate for 24 hours and close the pool.

How_To_Use_Polyquat_60_in_Pool_Winterization

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.