Flow question - Best settings for returns

albertg

Bronze Supporter
Nov 3, 2019
Marietta, GA
So I have 3 valve options for return flow. One is for the main returns, one is for the spa returns (actually not a spa but part of main pool with a shelf for sitting and a couple spa return jets), and one is for both.

Which setting should I leave it on for best flow? I suppose if I wanted to aerate I could use the spa jets, but for normal operation, how I can I determine which gives the best flow?

A,

The main job of my pool returns is to cause the pool water to move in a circular motion, like a toilet bowl when flushing, but of course with a very very slower movement. This helps drag floating debris in front of the skimmers so that they can collect it..

I would not run the "spa jets" unless you are using them.. too much aeration will just drive your pH up.. To be honest, I am not sure what your jets are for???

Thanks,

Jim R.

You need to experiment with different settings. Every pool is different and pool water circulation is affected by the prevailing winds.

Toss some ping pong balls into the water and observe the way they move as you change positions of the returns.

I would keep your spa valve closed and open the main drain and skimmer and not worry about it.

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I don't understand the spa section myself. I bought a house with a pool 2 months ago and this is my first foray (i always wanted a pool!). I will go with main returns for now and try the ping pong balls.

Allen - you mentioned to open skimmer and main. I don't have a valve for the suction side into the pump. I have an admiral skimmer diverter valve at the bottom of the skimmer. I do about 80% skimmer 20% main just for low water level concerns (i have a leak somewhere). Is that ok? I get lots of floating stuff and stuff that sinks so haven't found the right balance.

80/20 skimmer vs. main drain is fine.

Stuff that sinks needs to be picked up by a pool cleaner or manually with a leaf rake. That is not a circulation problem.

Do you have weir doors and are they operating properly? What level do you keep the water in the skimmer mouth? That affects if the skimmer captures floating stuff.

What is the shape of your pool? Some pools just have dead zones for water flow. Adjusting how the returns point may help a bit.

Keep a pool clean takes a combination of the skimming, a good pool cleaner, and some manual cleaning with a pool net.

I have updated my sig with a picture. It is a free form. A kidney with a growth(spa). Sorry, I just covered it yesterday as the leaves were getting ridiculous. I do a lot of manual cleaning now that we canceled the pool guy. I was able to get the old style vacuum to work yesterday after finding a vacuum plate at lowes.

I have a floating weir in the skimmer. Water level is now a little lower than the top of the entry from pool to skimmer. I think it was too high before

Do you see any issues with using skimmer water for testing? If I add chemicals it would likely be over the returns but just for testing I pulled from the skimmer this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.