Florida folks...costs?

I have seen cost starting around 35K for just a basic pool. Another 11k for a cage. If you start increasing pump and filter size, spa, sunshelf you start adding cost.

Reactions: steveinaz
Basic pool packages for a 12x24 pool were quoted to me about 28k. Then for your desired lenght and width, you have to add more linear ft, (one guy quoted me 3k for 10 Liner feet) Adding a spa is about 10k-15k more. Then you have to add decking (this depends on how much sqft and if your going with basic pavers, travertine, sand blasted marble, etc.) and if you want more lights (they are around 750 for one more or less for multicolored) and adding a sunshelf, (2-3k) heater (4-5k), if you want bubblers ( 1-2k) if you want glass tile some PB charge you more (about 1k with one guy) better pumps, better filter, saltwater system, if you want to upgrade the plaster, if you want automation, etc. most quotes came out to be 60k+ I did not add a cage so idk about that. Pools are not cheap. I almost died when I found out how much for a “basic” pool 😭

Reactions: steveinaz
Basic pool packages for a 12x24 pool were quoted to me about 28k. Then for your desired lenght and width, you have to add more linear ft, (one guy quoted me 3k for 10 Liner feet) Adding a spa is about 10k-15k more. Then you have to add decking (this depends on how much sqft and if your going with basic pavers, travertine, sand blasted marble, etc.) and if you want more lights (they are around 750 for one more or less for multicolored) and adding a sunshelf, (2-3k) heater (4-5k), if you want bubblers ( 1-2k) if you want glass tile some PB charge you more (about 1k with one guy) better pumps, better filter, saltwater system, if you want to upgrade the plaster, if you want automation, etc. most quotes came out to be 60k+ I did not add a cage so idk about that. Pools are not cheap. I almost died when I found out how much for a “basic” pool 😭

I agree with this, it really depends on what you want. I would be shocked if you can do anything other than what's included in a builders basic package for less than $50k at this point. Maybe you can get into the $40s with some give.

I personally wouldn't have a pool in FL without a cage. I did, it was challenging with bugs and debris. I had a neighbors Crape Myrtle that contributed to the debris issue though.

I'm on the other coast but we are in the process of building a 32x16 rectangle pool, acrylic decking, no spa, no bird cage. We upgraded the pump, lights and interior. Ours is $46,000.

Sarasota is a great town. We’ve been here for 25 years and absolutely love it. When we had our house built back then, the pool package which included a 15x30 pool, raised spa, decking and cage was 30k. Within the last 5 years, friends and family have built pools and the prices are about what the previous posters indicated. I would strongly suggest you have a cage installed. The mosquitoes get pretty bad especially during the summer rainy season (prime pool time). It can also get windy quite often and the cage will keep 99% of debris out.

Reactions: bfloyd24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am in the Orlando area. It is definitely close to 50K these days and more. I am having a 14 x32 pool with upgraded interior Stonescapes, otherwise 2K less, plus glass tile and a little sheer decent. My total bill is 72K but that is because we have a back patio area they are adding a screen, roof - thats about 15K. No screen over pool and a fence will cost us 10K because we have a good amount of land. Plus doing pavers. if you can buy a house with a pool it will definitey be cheaper. I have been in my house for 16 years and it would have cost us another 200K or more to get what we have so was better to just upgrade. If you want I can email you my quotes, just message me your email address if you want.

Reactions: Callalilly41
I live in tampa and just signed a contract. I suggest calling as many builders as possible. We found a pretty big price disparity between builders. It got to the point where we discussed our budget over the phone before anyone came out. Several straight up said they wouldn't do anything less than 60k due to demand.

I agree it’s cheaper to buy a house with a pool but for us in this crazy Florida market it’s better to just bite the bullet and install one if you don’t have one. There are benefits to installing one exactly how you like it though as many homes with a pool usually need something done to it.

hate to be the one to break it to you but prices are rising not only due to demand but cost of materials as well. pvc cost set to rise due to petro prices going up. lumber prices skyrocketing, shotcrete, steel and plaster prices are going up as well.

that doesn't even count equipment prices that will be rising I'll bet before spring is in full bloom due to demand and some shortages across the globe.

one thing people never consider is how is the access to your backyard. easy access cost pool builder less than a small back yard with little or no room to store fill dirt until the project is complete. if they have to haul it back in that cost man hours and transportation and you the homeowner will end up paying more.

I live in tampa and just signed a contract. I suggest calling as many builders as possible. We found a pretty big price disparity between builders. It got to the point where we discussed our budget over the phone before anyone came out. Several straight up said they wouldn't do anything less than 60k due to demand.
I agree, there can be big differences...the price range for the 3 I got quotes from like 80-102k. When I first started looking and wrongly thought I could stay around 70k, one pool builder said their minimum was 90k!

We live in Bradenton just north of Sarasota. Our pool build started yesterday! Our pool is 28x15. 12” rise hot tub and electric heater. Cage with clear view screen. 900sq ft of sealed pavers. Upgraded tile and upgraded color. Children’s safety gate. Total $70k.

I’m in the Orlando area and agree with what others have said. Get a lot of quotes. You will find most will be higher but a few will include much more for the money while using the same product lines. In the last year prices have gone up A LOT! My neighbor had a year old quote and when he got an updated quote it had gone up 10%. You can get a basic pool done cheaper but if you want nice features, each one costs more. I think you could probably get away with a small pool with a concrete deck and not a lot of features for $45k, but it would be very basic. Things like a spa, water features, automation, variable speed pumps, etc all add to the cost.

Before you go shopping make sure you have a good pool spec so you can compare apples to apples. Also get a copy of their standard contract. Terms in the contract can be as important as the spec. For example, never pay 100% before a performance test. Almost all contracts I've seen posted on here need to be revised even to get the most basic fair terms like this. It may surprise you to find they also are usually quite willing to revise these terms. When I ask why they don't have this as their starting point the answer is something like "most people don't ask".

Here' is some additional advice on construction best practices. Remember, you almost always want best value not just cheap.

I hope this helps.

Chris

My costs were a little higher than normal due to constraints for the building process. We had already installed a 1,300 sq ft cage the year before, and then installed a canvas covering over 3/4 of it. I had over $40K invested in the cage and covering, and didn't want to throw that away (most PB's wanted to tear it down for access, then install a new one).

I finally found several builders that were willing to work within the constraints of not tearing down or damaging the existing cage. They had to use micro diggers, and there was a LOT of manual labor removing the old concrete and the dirt. The extra labor tacked on about $10K in costs. My pool is 12.5 x 24.5, with SWG and a large heater, and I had pavers installed over the existing concrete. My total bill was $62K.

Estimates ranged from $62K to $80K, but the lowest estimate also included the best equipment and pavers. I think you'll find it hard to get a pool for less than $50K, unless you get zero options or upgrades.

I agree with trying to find a house with a pool. The demand is high and construction supplies are on the rise. I know quotes are about 10% higher than the previous few years. 50k would be a very basic pool depending on the pool deck and finishes selected. If you add a spa add another 10-12k and the spa will need gas or electric heater as well. A pool cage is also necessary in Florida and that adds additional cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.