FLOCC WOES

Magicicada

Jun 21, 2020
morgantown, wv
My local pool store insisted I put flocculant in my pool to clear it. I, like the naive new pool owner I am, put it in without reading up on anything, and now I have floc in the pool and I cant get it out! I have no vacuum to waste option and I read here NOT to filter it, so any advice on getting this gunk out is much appreciated! When it settles the water is clear, but I dont know how to get it out without damaging my pool...

We have a slightly downward sloped yard. How would siphoning work?
Put the vac hose and head in the pool completely submerged. Bring the open end up to the surface and cover, quickly bring the hose over the edge and to the ground level. See if a siphon starts.

Reactions: Magicicada
There is 100% no option for waste. We have a slightly downward sloped yard. How would siphoning work?

But seeing the equipment might help us come up with an alternative idea. For example, if this is an intex type pool or if the equipment is connected with hoses instead of being hard plumbed then you might be able to easily disconnect the return from the pool and remove the filter. The would effectively allow you to vacuum to waste. If your equipment is hard plumbed then this probably won’t be as easy to do, but we might still be able to come up with another option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But seeing the equipment might help us come up with an alternative idea. For example, if this is an intex type pool or if the equipment is connected with hoses instead of being hard plumbed then you might be able to easily disconnect the return from the pool and remove the filter. The would effectively allow you to vacuum to waste. If your equipment is hard plumbed then this probably won’t be as easy to do, but we might still be able to come up with another option.
I will get a photo as well in the AM after work, thank you :]

i hope those photos are good enough?

That's an interesting little setp-up with the filter and pump on that base. I was looking to see if there was any way for you to disconnect the pipe after the pump just before the filter, then you could connect a hose or pipe and funnel water directly to the grass (simulating a WASTE) function.

Reactions: Magicicada
That's an interesting little setp-up with the filter and pump on that base. I was looking to see if there was any way for you to disconnect the pipe after the pump just before the filter, then you could connect a hose or pipe and funnel water directly to the grass (simulating a WASTE) function.
I just installed it a few weeks ago. Our sand filter died on us hah. Now I'm just floundering...

I found a hole that looks like I can unscrew it on the right side of my tank. If I drain and take my filter out, is that a plausible "waste" option?

I found a hole that looks like I can unscrew it on the right side of my tank. If I drain and take my filter out, is that a plausible "waste" option?
The only problem with that is you would still need to block water from leaving the filter. So if you are able to remove the cartridge, then plug the filter outlet from inside, it may work. Otherwise you'll blow all that floc right back into the pool. :hammer:

What you could do is disconnect the hose that goes between the pool and the filter, then remove your filter and turn on the pump to vacuum to waste. However, the thing that’s going to be tricky about that is the fact that the pump and filter are under the water line. As soon as you disconnect that hose water is going to come rushing out of the pool from both the return and the intake side. If you can block the intake and the return inside the pool before you disconnect the hose that will make it a lot easier and it doesn’t even need to be something that seals perfectly. Even if you can block 95% of the water and a little leaks out that won’t be the end of the world. The pressure will help keep whatever you use to block the ports in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.