Floc Disaster

rikiamanda

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2010
Indiana
First Post and imagine this, I did something I knew wasn't really required; now I'm here asking for help to clean up my mess.

Background: New pool installed this year its my first pool ever. Ive had no problems I couldn't solve by searching the forums, reading pool school again or reasoning out the answer with information provided in response to other posts.
Problem: The weather has been dry here all month. (after a sopping wet june and july..) It has been extra "dusty" and "polleny?"over the last 3-4 weeks. I slowly noticed my water had lost the sparkle it had before and could see white "strings" floating around when looking underwater with goggles.. Yes sparklypoolitis" I had noticed no chlorine loss overnight but raised to shock level (held with no cc) increased filter time, added the socks.. still no change in clarity.. tried a clarifier with short success 3 weeks ago, but it was short lived. Where was I headed? oh yes.. FLOC..

Yesterday I put pro team floc in the pool. This morning l find water clearish on top, cotton puff clouds on bottom. vacuumed a whole lot of water to waste, in the process stirred up quite a bit of fluff which I let settle again and vacuumed to waste this evening. I then added water and again am letting any suspended particles settle.. however the water is even cloudier than before.

I can not keep wasting water like I did today.. I had to put at least 4-5 inches back in the pool.. started out inch below top of skimmer ended up level with bottom of skimmer with hose running whole time.. Did I mention I am on a well? Between splash out and evap I add water at a rate of 1-2 inches weekly. Normal Water loss and vac to wast makes at least 7 inches I have added this week. Fill water is full of iron, has a TA off the charts, and a CH reading right there with it. The first 800 gallons are soft fm water softener after that its straight ol well water.

So here I am with a pool that contains (contained) a bottle of floc, water as cloudy as can be (ok I can see the bottom step, but this is a disaster to me!!) when I last checked I could see several very small spots of puffy cotton clumps My question is, is there a way I can get those out without vacuuming to waste again? Is slime bag an option? Can you tell I am a mess?

I am using triclor tabs at the moment in a feeder however I am checking cya weekly (and stay on top of the PH) .. but with so much splash out it hasn't been a problem as of yet.. if it does become a problem then I will switch to liquid chlorine, I have used the jugs a few times in the past months just to see how they work out for me.
ph 7.5
fc 5
cc 0
ta 160
ch 200
cya 30

edited to change rough draft to final draft.. first post folly!!!

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
You can try vacuuming to filter and then backwashing. That may save you a little water. The floc clumps the stuff together so the filter can catch it.

Other Threads of Interest