Float diverter?

tcat

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
I was reading the section here on how to clean your de filter, it's pretty much how I do it. But it mentioned a "float diverter", I've never heard of, or seen one. Is it necessary? My skimmer has 2 holes, with a flap that you can slide over one or the other. Does that flap take place of the diverter? If so, what position should the flap be? I have a 2" line from drain (2 drains), and a 2" line from the skimmer.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
That sliding flap is supposed to close off the main drain so you can use a vacuum plate to vacuum. Without it closed, the pump would draw from the drain and not the vacuum because it's easier. If you plug the vacuum in directly, it doesn't matter.

A float diverter looks like a little flying saucer and it works like this

Reactions: tcat

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
So if I just have a flap, I close off the drain side, since I have a separate line from the drain to pump.
If the second hole isn't plugged and doesn't go to the main drain, then you need to figure out where it does go. Most likely there's a port a couple feet below the skimmer in the pool wall. That's designed to allow water to enter should the skimmer basket clog. But figure out where it goes so you can set things up properly. Maybe you don't need a diverter..

tcat

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm guessing it does go to the port about 18" down near the skimmer. I'll leave both open. Doesn't seem to effect skimmer flow either way.