Flexible pvc diameter

mikewhits

Jun 14, 2020
I had to replace a pump sweep ell that was leaking. This transitioned to flex pvc. The diameter of the flex pvc seems to be less than the sch 40 slip coupling I'm using. After a few minutes I could remove the coupling with little effort. Used pvc cleaner on the flex and primer on the coupling. Oatey all purpose pvc cement.

Flex has the same diameter as rigid pvc, but you should not use cleaner or primer on the flex as it softens the material and causes a blow out of the glue joint. It also will not form the fast bond that rigid does and must be allowed to fully cure before being put under pressure or roughly handled. If it seems loose in a dry fit of the fitting apply a coat of cement to the pipe and allow it to skin over before applying the final coat to pipe and fitting and making the joint.
When glueing to any old pipe it is vital that surfaces be clean and dry (unless using a wet use cement).
My preferred cement is Christy's red hot blue glue.

Flex has the same diameter as rigid pvc, but you should not use cleaner or primer on the flex as it softens the material and causes a blow out of the glue joint. It also will not form the fast bond that rigid does and must be allowed to fully cure before being put under pressure or roughly handled. If it seems loose in a dry fit of the fitting apply a coat of cement to the pipe and allow it to skin over before applying the final coat to pipe and fitting and making the joint.
When glueing to any old pipe it is vital that surfaces be clean and dry (unless using a wet use cement).
My preferred cement is Christy's red hot blue glue.
Thank you for your reply. I measured the o.d. of the flex with a caliper seems to be 58 mm. The o.d. of the rigid pvc I'd 60 mm. Is this an acceptable allowance for a slip joint to seal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I said DO NOT use primer on flex. This came from a pvc manufacturer I contacted after having multiple repairs blow apart. It can break down the surface of the flex and cause it to peel off after it is glued, thus blow apart the glue joint. Pipe must be clean but just use soap and water and wipe dry, or lightly sand.
Interesting, mine leaked until I did. Sorry for the miss read.

It may depend on the exact chemical formula of the pvc. I have come to suspect that they are not all created equal.
I still remember the conversation some 25 years ago. There was no internet as we know it today and little industry training. I had been an electrician before so had no experience with flex but plenty with pvc and had several spa plumbing repairs blow apart at my first job in the business. So I called the flex manufacturer. Had to leave a message and wait a few days for the guy to call, but he did. I explained my situation, he said "Are you using primer on the flex?", I said "Of course.", he said "Well DON'T!", and hung up the phone.
Ahh, the good old days...
So I have not used primer on flex since. And I swear by Christys.

Reactions: markayash
The coupling should be relatively snug when dry fit. If not, something is off. Are you sure that it's flex pvc and not hose or black poly pipe?

In my opinion, cleaner can be used.

Primer is more aggressive and results in more softening of the pipe.

Old flex can deteriorate to the point where it's basically useless to try to glue a fitting.

When gluing flex, you should hold the fitting securely on the pipe for at least 60 seconds and then give it at least 12 hours to dry.

Prime pipe with a listed primer. Apply primer inside the fitting hub and then to the pipe end. Re-dip the dauber and prime the fitting a second time.

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
It may depend on the exact chemical formula of the pvc. I have come to suspect that they are not all created equal.
I still remember the conversation some 25 years ago. There was no internet as we know it today and little industry training. I had been an electrician before so had no experience with flex but plenty with pvc and had several spa plumbing repairs blow apart at my first job in the business. So I called the flex manufacturer. Had to leave a message and wait a few days for the guy to call, but he did. I explained my situation, he said "Are you using primer on the flex?", I said "Of course.", he said "Well DON'T!", and hung up the phone.
Ahh, the good old days...
So I have not used primer on flex since. And I swear by Christys.
I used that on my last replumb and liked it. Thick and gives you a few seconds before sticking.

I did not use primer but did use pvc cleaner on the flex. The flex is the original plumbing in the spa. The slip coupling i am using is sch 40 and is noticeably loose when assembled. I did go ahead and glue the joint but after several minutes, could pull the coupling off with no effort. As this is all original and the spa is about 8 years old, could the only logical explanation is the flex deteriorated/shrank in size? I will post some pictures.
Is there a "wet" pvc cement?

Thanks Again.

After reaching out to a parts supplier for the manufacturer, they suggested an inside slip connector. I could then use a short pieced of flex to transition back to sch 40. Any input on inside cement joints? Also, I cant seem to find out what the pump pressure is for the spa. It is a Master Spa Twilight series 7.25. There are two 6 hp motors, this side is the single speed which I believe is just for the jets.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.