Flexible hose restricting flow?

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm in the process of replacing my pump and am wondering about the outlet plumbing. The outlet port of the pump is connected to a flexible hose. It's white with a spiral construction. Outside diameter is 1.5".

The hose is attached to the filter and the pump by being pushed onto a barbed male fitting and then clamped with hose clamps.

I measure the inside diameter of the fitting and it's about 1-3/16".

I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to have the outlet pipe be a smaller inside diameter than the inflow. It's only about 1/8" difference but would that create back pressure that would shorten the life of the pump?

Here's a few photos of the hose in question. Would it be better to use rigid 1.5" pipe for the connection?

Hose
Hose to pump

Hose to filter

I doubt it makes that much difference. Lots of factors at play. How long is the run to the pool return(s), what HP is the pump, etc.

I figured I was over thinking it but good to check. Just one more question - can I use the same cement that I use for the rigid PVC? I find that when dry fitting, the flexible pvc is a little looser when pushed into a female fitting. Wondering if the PVC cement will fill in the gap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's flex pvc. You don't use it with barbed fittings and clamps.

Someone used a pipe-extender type fitting for some reason.

In any case, just get rid of what's there and replumb.

That was a question I asked earlier, is flexible pvc joined the same way as rigid PVC? With primer and cement?

By pipe extender, do you mean the piece of white pipe coming off the filter? I put that in because I had to replace the sand filter o-ring and the original builder made no allowances for removing the head of the filter. It's ugly but I don't see how it's causing any problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.