Flakes in Returns but CH low . . . Help

May 28, 2014
Fairfield County CT
Hi TFP Members -

I've been using the TFP for the past 4 years with great results, however, I managed to get the salt too high and now I get "flakes" in my deep water returns. I read enough to understand that I need to drain and refill 1/3 of the pool to deal with this and I have a simple Q:

How do I drain 1/3 of the pool water? Is there a setting on my Pentair main pump that will do this or should I drop a sump pump on a shallow end step instead? Also, once drained, should I simply let the auto refill bring the pool back to operating volume or should I buy a tank truck of pool H20?

Thanks in advance!

This year's TFP Test Kit arrives today.

full

The first picture is what the "flakes" look like at the deep water return. I used the pool skimmer net and fished a few out and placed them atop the hose reel box in picture 2. As instructed, I hit these flakes on the top of the hose box with a bit of acid and planned on taking a short video of the results but before I could get my phone out the acid had consumed all the flakes in a violent acidic holocaust!

Fantastic I said to myself! Acid will do the trick! So I emptied 4 gallons of Muriatic Acid into the pool and the problem is over! KIDDING - Relax. Onto the next post.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Haha
Reactions: Leebo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is your pH?

Is your SWG installed and generating?

pH was right on target last I checked the prior weekend. I'll run it tonight once I'm home from work but my strong guess is it's unchanged from last week. No one has been in the pool. I added zero muriatic acid since I checked last weekend.

Yes, the SWG is installed and generating. FC/TC is high as the pool was just commissioned, I realize I need to step it back a bit and bring FC/TC closer to 4. But, that won't fix the flakes. How do I raise CH and get rid of the flakes? That is the Q.

By managing your CSI (Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool) at between -0.3 and 0 the calcium carbonate flakes from the SWCG will be minimized. You will still get some. pH and TA are factors to manage as your CH is normally a given or less able to be controlled. Put your test data into PoolMath and it will calculate and track CSI.

Your flakes are likely coming from your SWG. They are accumulating on the cell because your CSI is probably positive. The flakes get knocked off when your SWG changes polarity. That is the cell automatic cleaning.

I can’t say for sure because you will not provide a pH number. Being on target does not tell us anything.

Please correct your signature about your SWG and put the size cell there.

With proper management of CSI your SWCG should never need to be acid washed. Each time you acid wash it you remove a not insignificant amount of life from the plates in the cell.

I manage our pool water up to 1000 ppm CH and have never acid washed the SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.