Flagstone coping grout repair


Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
I have some areas where the grout is cracking and chipping out between my flagstones on my coping. I know nothing about how to repair or fill in these areas. Any pointer on what I need to buy and how to do it? Thanks!


TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
It's actually mortar, not grout (minor difference but important). The process of fixing it is called tuck-pointing. It's labor intensive because the joints have to be chiseled or ground out until solid mortar is hit and then each joint has to refilled with fresh mortar. It requires quite a bit of care because each joint needs to be done separately and you have to mask of the areas you don't want the mortar on. A sloppy job is very obvious.

You'd be best off contacting a stone mason or landscape company that has experience with stone hardscape work and get a quote. It's not a job for the amateur to do and it can easily be screwed up and look awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk