Fixing A Leaky Union

Aug 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hello... I was curious any advice on replacing what seems to be a broken union. I have seen it leaking through the crack so not sure if I need to replace the whole thing or just the cracked band looking part?

Also, is this something a beginner with no plumbing experience attempt doing, or is this something to leave to a professional? If a professional, what would I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice...

[attachment=1:2043z1nr]Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 3.54.49 PM.png[/attachment:2043z1nr]


Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Well you're lucky. You can unscrew the union nut and then unscrew the union half, elbow and threaded nipple. You'll have to replace those parts because they're glued so close together. Your biggest issue is going to be finding a union that exactly matches the existing one so you don't have to cut the plumbing on that side. However, if you can't find a match, there's enough space to cut the old one out and replace it.