First Year Rookie

Jul 20, 2018
Smithton, il
I have owned a pool for 6 years. Last year we had a lot of trouble keeping our water clear. At the end of the season I came across your website. I have the T-100 kit and will try and use it along with your pool math app this year!

Pool Info:
25,000 gallons
Vinyl liner
UV sanitizer
DE filter

Opened pool today and this is what it looks like.
IMG_6047.JPG

so for starters ....do I test the water or go ahead and SLAM it??

Thanks in Advance for all your help!
Looking forward to a great pool season!

Terri

You're gonna have to test pH and TA so you can set pH prior to the SLAM. You'll also have to test CYA so you know how high to take the chlorine. Might as well finish and test CH, just in case you want to do any water replacement. It would be a shame to spend a bunch of time and money treating water only to dump it.

If that's a layer of sludge on the floor, vacuum it out. If you have a multiport valve on your filter, set it to waste and get rid of it. If you don't have a multiport, brace yourself for a lot of backwashing and recharging. Don't try to vacuum on backwash or run the filter without DE. You'll wreck the grids.

Then it's pretty straightforward. Adjust the pH to 7.2. Raise the FC to Shock Level. With zero CYA, that's 10. Then go ahead and measure out enough CYA to get you to 30 and add that using the sock method. From that point on, you want to test the FC every couple hours and raise it back to 12 (That's shock level for 30 CYA). Meanwhile, brush and vacuum. It's all laid out in SLAM Process

The water is a lot clearer today.
So that implies is was indeed cloudy at opening. Then definately continue with Richard's notes above in Post #6. Follow that SLAM Process. Attention to details makes a big difference. Have fun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
does that make a difference?? Also, if it says to add 2 gallons of bleach "by volume" does that just mean to your pool?
The cooler weather should be working in your favor. But in the early part of the SLAM you may have to check the FC fairly often and increase as needed. In the PoolMath tool, place your cursor over the "ADD xx OZ field then above it will also interpret that into cups, quarts, etc. The Volume amounts are for powdered products.

I have to be doing something wrong...came home from work today and tested my FC and it was at 1!!!!!
How am I suppose to ever get it to 10??

I have been testing it 2-4 times a day for one week and have NEVER gotten up to 10.
The closest I have been is 7.

My pool is a 25,000 gallon pool

I use the Pool Math app

CYA is 10

I am using bleach 11.9% in a gallon jug

it tells my to add 242oz

???????

I suspect you're not increasing and maintaining the FC quick enough in the early SLAM. You can add the bleach, but if you leave it alone for an hour, two, or more, the material in the pool has already eaten it. You have to stick close in the early SLAM to maintain the FC, making sure it's to 10 or 12, and re-testing as much as needed every 10-15 minuets until it shows signs of holding. Eventually it will, then the spaces between testing will get farther apart.

Oh yes, and your CYA is way too low. It needs to be a minimum 30.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, older TFP'ers, but doesn't his CYA need to come up so he can hold onto SLAM levels of chlorine? If I'm not wrong, raise CYA to 40 then SLAM according to the FC/CYA chart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, older TFP'ers, but doesn't his CYA need to come up so he can hold onto SLAM levels of chlorine? If I'm not wrong, raise CYA to 40 then SLAM according to the FC/CYA chart.

I suggested raising it to 30 in post #6, but I think it got missed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.