First year of pool - too much phosfree added

JimS21

Aug 5, 2019
Reading, PA
First year pool owner. Concrete with pebbletec Saltwater pool. Water has been clear all summer but my phosphates were high around 1200. Advised by pool store to add phosfree (half of bottle first wait an hour then add other half) and now pool is cloudy. Filter is still running as normal and I keep checking hourly. Pool store told me I would need to clean filter 48 hours after using Phos free.

Please tell me I didn’t ruin my pool and that this is a correctable issue. Found this site after I did all this of course. Should I clean filter right away and not wait 48 hours? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Jim

Reactions: Jlane
Welcome to TFP.

You have been pool stored. We don’t believe phosphate level matter if you maintain adequate chlorine. Especially only 1,200.

What type of filter do you have? Clearing up the water will take patience and days of filtering.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and browse Table of Contents - Trouble Free Pool

Attachments

• 880C6B22-2F0B-4C93-A679-3CFA58ED17FC.jpeg
    880C6B22-2F0B-4C93-A679-3CFA58ED17FC.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 11
That is a cartridge filter.

You know what your clean filter pressure is? Clean the filter cartridges whenever PSI increases by 25%.

I think Phosfree has clarifier in it. You may need to open up the filter and clean it multiple times.

That is a cartridge filter.

You know what your clean filter pressure is? Clean the filter cartridges whenever PSI increases by 25%.

I think Phosfree has clarifier in it. You may need to open up the filter and clean it multiple times.

Thanks - this has been a helpful starting point. Not sure what the clean filter pressure is or was. Didn’t know I needed that information. My psi is currently at around 12. It hasn’t changed for hours as I have been checking it. How long should I wait to open up and clean filter?

Are there there are any other negative impacts I should be worried about at this point? Just want to make sure I didn’t permanently screw up my pool. Sorry for all the questions.

What test kit do you have?

What is your water chemistry?

How do you chlorinate your pool?

You probably want to clean your cartridges in 48 hours and note clean pressure.

How many gallons in your pool?

Woke up this morning to what seems to be a not cloudy pool but there areas where there is a white dust/sediment at the bottom after using the Phosfree yesterday. Should I try vacuuming up with Polaris or leave it for now?

I Normally use test strips but will take to the pool store for more accurate reading today. I will share once I have them.

Put the Polaris to work in cleanup.

If you are going to hang around here and apply TFPC Methods you need to do your own testing with a test kit. Either the TF-100 Test Kits or the Taylor K2006C contains the tests we use.

Test strips are worthless and should be thrown in the garbage. Pool store tests have been shown to be inaccurate. If you want to take control of your pool yiu need to do your own testing.

Reactions: afbatts
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.