First winter with mesh safety cover

Good day, all,

I'm getting a micro mesh cover installed next month and wonder if I'm going to need to keep an eye on the water level over the winter. I live in Eastern PA and typically get quite a bit of rain from Sept through April while the pool is covered.
I've always had a solid floating cover with water tubes, so never had to worry about the pool filling up and overflowing.
I've heard that I should lower the water level to below the skimmer frame/returns and plug up all the plumbing. That should be around 8" below full, or just below the top step. Any water from rain or snow will seep through and fill it back up.

So, do i need to keep an eye on the water level (once the ice melts, that is... )??

I’m going on the assumption that your pool has a plaster finish. You will want to lower your water as low as the cover manufacturer recommends as being safe. It will probably something like 14-18” below the deck level. And you will ideally keep the water below the tile (by pumping) until after the threat of your pool water freezing ends. I’m near you and I pump down once before it gets really cold then monitor during the dead of winter. It only freezes some hard some winters. I pump if the pool is free of ice greater than say 1/4” in late winter when I think it might still freeze again. Your pool cover will be taut when installed, not sagging much whatsoever. Then when it snows, the cover will drop to the water surface and be supported. The springs will compress as this happens. That’s why it’s important to go with the cover manufacturer’s recommended water level. If the water is too low, the springs will fully compress and the only thing left to give is the fabric by ripping. Here’s picture of our pool its first winter with a fresh snow on unfrozen water.

Pool Build - Baltimore

My pool is 20 x 36, Grecian style with vinyl liner. about 30 years old. concrete walkway around pool about 3' wide, some landscaping/hardscaping and a privacy fence.

I'll check with the installers, maybe they have some documentation from the manufacturer on water depth.

Thanks,

Hey Navy Bear !! You will need to keep an eye on it yes. I drain about 18 inches to start, am full to the brim by January, drain another 18 inches and am full to the brim by opening in the early spring. You are plenty close enough to me that we get the same storms for the most part so you can expect the same amount of added water.

NewDude,

that's what i had in mind. I know I'm overthinking it - at least for the first year - but my thought is to check it every month (until it freezes) - then drop in a pump and draw out water down to the top step or a bit lower.
I'm guessing i'll likely adjust the timing if we get a lot of rain or snow melt, too.

I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Newdude
Exactly how you’re planning is a good plan. Every winter is a little different. Sometimes the rain comes heavy in the beginning and dries up for the back half, others it’s spread out evenly. Monthly checks will let you know how it’s going and only take a few minutes. You have plenty of warning when it’s filling a half inch at a time. :)

try and time the drain right before it gets really cold if it’s going to. there’s no promises how quick it will warm up / melt and that will buy you more time if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.