First water test - am I on the right track?

My wife's pool boy

Gold Supporter
Apr 19, 2022
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone, newbie here... I just took the first water test and have the following results:
FC: 2.0
pH: 8.2
TA: 170
CH: 325
CYA: 20
Salt: 3400
CSI: 0.79
Seems like I need to focus on lowering pH and TA, and raising CYA, and then everything else will stabilize a little better?
I started with pH... PoolMath said to add "1 quart, 2 oz. by volume" of the 31.45% muriatic acid. That doesn't sound like much for a 15k gallon pool... so what does "by volume" mean? I already entered my pool capacity in Settings, so the 1 quart, 2 oz must be the final number right? I put it in and did a pH test a couple of hours later and it was still 8.2... did I not wait long enough?
As far as TA goes, I'm running the waterfall along with the spa spillover to aerate the water and lower it... am I on the right track with this?
Thanks in advance!

You're on the right track. Overall, the numbers look good.

Each time you add MA to lower pH, TA will drop as well. You can see how much by selecting "Effects of Adding" in the menu.

You CYA is low. Bring it up to the mid-high range according to the FC/CYA Levels.

Volume means just that, the amount of chemical to add by "volume" as opposed to weight (for solid forms of chemicals).

8.2 is the high range of the pH test. Chances are, your pH was at a higher range and the test is still showing 8.2. Two hours with the pump running is plenty of time for MA to mix.

Keeping your FC on the sunny side of the FC/CYA Levels is key, don't play near the minimum.
CYA reduces your FC loss from the sun so raise it in 10ppm increments to find your pools sweet spot. Lower your CSI and use Pool Math to explore your options, include the expected seasonal water temp range :cheers:.

Reactions: My wife's pool boy
That doesn't sound like much for a 15k gallon pool
MA is surprisingly powerful.

As far as TA goes, I'm running the waterfall along with the spa spillover to aerate the water and lower it... am I on the right track with this?
It's the MA that lowers TA. The aeration just speeds up the pH rise so you can add more MA and ratchet the TA down.

I’d ignore the TA for now. No point in speeding up what you have to do anyway. Sure TA is creases the CSI a bit, but not much. What TA really does is to increase the pH drift upwards.

BTW, Just by lowering your pH your CSI should be fine.

You're on the right track. Overall, the numbers look good.

Each time you add MA to lower pH, TA will drop as well. You can see how much by selecting "Effects of Adding" in the menu.

You CYA is low. Bring it up to the mid-high range according to the FC/CYA Levels.

Volume means just that, the amount of chemical to add by "volume" as opposed to weight (for solid forms of chemicals).

8.2 is the high range of the pH test. Chances are, your pH was at a higher range and the test is still showing 8.2. Two hours with the pump running is plenty of time for MA to mix.
Gotcha - ok, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.