First vacation with pool

LaurenB

Jun 4, 2014
Shrewsbury, PA
Hi all-

I'm about to leave my pool for 8 days for the first time since I've had it. My in-laws are stopping by every evening to care for my cats and parrots so I do have them to add bleach.

Here is my plan - please advise if you think this is a good plan or if I need to change it.

First, my pool loses between 1 and 2 ppm FC each day (24hrs) dependent on weather.

Most recent test results:
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.5
CYA 30
TA 100
CH 240

My plan is, before leaving Friday morning, to take it to Shock level (12 - CYA is 30). FC desired range is 2-4. One gallon of bleach typically increases pool by a little over 5.

So...

If Friday morning the FC is 12, my estimated projected chlorine loss would look something like this:
Sat AM: FC between 10 -11
Sat PM: 9 - 10.5
Sun PM: 7 - 9.5
Mon PM: 5 - 8.5
Tue PM: 3 - 7.5 - Plan to have in-laws add 1/2 gallon of bleach, so plus 2.5 would mean between 5.5-10FC
Wed PM: 3.5-9
Thur PM: 1.5 - 8 - In-laws add another 1/2 gallon. I realize 1.5 is low, but I sincerely doubt it will be full sun all day every day for the worst case scenario.
Fri PM: 3 - 9.5 - I will check and adjust as soon as I return home.

Sound like a good plan? I intend to do one last full test prior to leaving.

Thanks for everyone's help!

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yes, that seems well thought out to me. You may get some variation but you should be close enough to keep your pool clear for when you return. Nice work.

ccreamer

Jul 16, 2015
Lindale, TX
I found my FC loss was greater the higher it was above my recommended level for my CYA. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the sun ate through much more of it (ppm) when I was closer to SLAM levels than when it is closer to recommended levels.

Cory

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
^^ya the higher the chlorine the faster it dissipates til it gets to maintenance level.

Another benefit I found with having a blue solar cover...I use a lot less bleach.

I can sometimes go up to 3 days with no FC loss.