ryandkysmom

May 13, 2022
Cleveland, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I guess my chlorine is off the charts? It’s orange not yellow. And yes I’m adding correct thing to the correct side.
5-25-22
Total Chlorine
Orange not even on scale
Ph 7.5
26 drops gave 13 ppm Free Chlorine
3 drops x .5 = 1.5
14.5 total chlorine
25 second test 12.5 ppm Free Chlorine
2 drops x .5 = 1
13.5 total chlorine
CYA 62 (still kinda see black dot)
Calcium hardness 625
TA 130
5-27-22
Chlorine still orange but slightly less
Ph 7.5
19 drops x .5 = 9.5 FC
Added 5 drops and remained clear so no CC
So TC Total Chlorine is 9.5
19 drops x 25 = 475 Calcium Hardness (?)
14 drops x 10 = TA 140
Cya 60? Still see black dot ⚫️ faintly

Note we have not added any softener/Cyanuric acid. We started out going by what pool store said to add. Then I found this site. We ordered test kit and are trying to figure out what to do now. :(

Your chlorine is high, but not even close to dangerous levels for your CYA. (You can't read between the lines, by the way, so round up and call it 70.)

Definitely don't add more CYA. No need, you have plenty in there. It's maybe a bit high if you're using liquid chlorine but it's manageable. How does the water look? Any photos you can share?

Reactions: ryandkysmom
Welcome to TFP! :wave: As IceShadow recommended, let's see some water pics. That will help. Is this new water or recently opened from its winter slumber? Any other chemicals other than liquid chlorine, acid, or stabilizer added to the water? If you know of any other pool or water history it may help. Otherwise we'll watch for some pics. With the right test kit we can coach you through just about anything. You're in good hands here at TFP.

Opened pool 4-22-22 2 gallons liquid shock added by guys that opened my pool. They said to add two bags every week and go by what Leslie’s says. 🤪
4-28-22 added no phos and alkalinity up per Leslie’s
4-29-22 two bags chlorbrite per pool guys that opened my pool
5-8-22 two bags chlorbrite per pool guys that opened my pool
5-11 to 5-13 per Leslie’s
added hardness plus (20lb?)
added 10 lb dry acid
Shocked it w chlorbrite
5-14-22 stressed out by Leslie’s buying chemicals and still not understanding for myself. Found TFP website, joined ☺️ ending up ordering TFTest kit. So I actually don’t remember if I added shock waited a day and went to Leslie’s or went to Leslie’s, added what they said then shock? Idk.

Today’s testing cut short because family visiting and we have to go out of town. Ugh. Results today were
5-28-22
Ph 7.5
Still orange but less
15 x .5 = 7.5 FC
Added 5 drops and remained clear so no CC
So TC is 7.5
We had .6 inches rain evening of 5-26 and .9 last night (5-27). So that helped dilute the chlorine I’m sure. Also, I vacuumed to waste yesterday and this morning because we have dark crud on bottom that keeps re appearing. I have used the extra fine filter on my robotic cleaner and that cleans it, but as soon as you turn filter n pump on, it comes back after few hours or so. I plan on disconnecting filter from pool and cleaning up filter as suggested on here annually. I didn’t know all this before obviously or I would have done it. We bought house last fall. It was closed by previous owners.

That "dark crud" on the pool floor looks like dead algae to me. Since your water is otherwise clear, elevate you FC to twice normal (what is your CYA) and hold it there until that "crud goes away. Vacuum it up into your filter and run your pump 24/7.

That "crud" will go away in a day or two if you
1. vacuum daily
2. Run your autocleaner
3. Keep your chlorine elevated.

Post ALL your test results so we can get a better picture.

So that helped dilute the chlorine I’m sure
It seems like you might still be thinking old school pool store and pool boy advice that you FC must be 1-3ppm. At 7.5ppm you're right in the target range for a CYA of 60 (some might even say you're uncomfortably low on that range). Follow the Test Kits Compared.

Also, run the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure that you don't have any organics lingering.

You made the right move to embrace the TFP way, now you just have to trust it. You've got this! :lovetfp::goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems like you might still be thinking old school pool store and pool boy advice that you FC must be 1-3ppm. At 7.5ppm you're right in the target range for a CYA of 60 (some might even say you're uncomfortably low on that range). Follow the Test Kits Compared.

Also, run the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure that you don't have any organics lingering.

You made the right move to embrace the TFP way, now you just have to trust it. You've got this! :lovetfp::goodjob:
5-30-22 8pm
Chlorine 5+
Ph 7.5
7 FC
0 CC
Calcium Hardness 425
Alkalinity TA 130
CYA 60
68F
Checking chlorine in the morning OCLT. Will post result. Crud level is majorly down. Waiting to see OCLT in morning and crud level lol

Reactions: kdahlgren249
5-31-22 morning
66F
Ph 7.5
FC 5.5
CC 0
TC 5.5
Calcium Hardness 400
Alkalinity TA 120
CYA more like 40. Made extra and kept filling till black dot stayed obscured. It never got fully obscured before but we’d run out of mix.
So overall I’m really surprised because the FC hasn’t been dropping that fast before. There is zero crud/dead algae in bottom of the pool. Soooo according to chart at 40 cya I need fc 16 to slam. I’ll have to get liquid bleach today and do it tonight. Pool Math says I’m going to need over 3 gallons to start. So I guess I’ll get 8 or 9 to make sure I have enough for subsequent additions. Dang I wish I could start now! Btw, I know this morning test is late morning, but our pool doesn’t get Sun till later because of tree shade. Do my results and plan make sense to everyone?

You are correct that for the SLAM Process, based on your CYA of 40, the FC SLAM level would be 16. But your water looks great! Looking at your last couple posts I couldn't tell if you actually did an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test - the first number just said 5+. :scratch: If you did the OCLT and failed, then the SLAM would apply. But if you didn't actually test the FC accurately starting last night for an OCLT, then I would definitely do that starting this evening. Your water is still chilly which works in your favor. So today you have a couple options. You can increase the FC to 16 as soon as possible and do an OCLT starting tonight, or you can increase the FC only to about 10 ppm all day/evening and do the OCLT just to be sure the SLAM is actually warranted.

You are correct that for the SLAM Process, based on your CYA of 40, the FC SLAM level would be 16. But your water looks great! Looking at your last couple posts I couldn't tell if you actually did an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test - the first number just said 5+. :scratch: If you did the OCLT and failed, then the SLAM would apply. But if you didn't actually test the FC accurately starting last night for an OCLT, then I would definitely do that starting this evening. Your water is still chilly which works in your favor. So today you have a couple options. You can increase the FC to 16 as soon as possible and do an OCLT starting tonight, or you can increase the FC only to about 10 ppm all day/evening and do the OCLT just to be sure the SLAM is actually warranted.
Oh so I was doing the yellow 5 drop test on left side of ph test. So that’s not accurate. I’m not bothering w that anymore. My FC was 7 at 8pm last night and FC 5.5 around 10am this morning. It wasn’t dropping that quickly before I got my TFTest kit. But, someone on here told me to add 1/2 gallon bleach each night till I got my test kit. So I was doing that for like 4 nights. Then I got my test kit, saw my chlorine was high, waited it out, had some rain which helped dilute things and we were looking good. But since I had dead algae, even though it appears to be gone, I wanted to make sure. So I did OCLT test and went from FC 7 to FC 5.5 🤷‍♀️ So I’m gonna try slam. Hoping to get it done and be able to use pool this weekend again. It looks nice and clear.

Hoping to get it done and be able to use pool this weekend again. It looks nice and clear.
Hopefully it will go well for you. While you maintain the elevated FC level, be sure to do all the formalities of brushing and inspecting everywhere in the pool. The littlest hiding spot can cause trouble. Good luck!

Hey, just a helpful hint. You want to do the OCLT testing AFTER sundown (evening) and BEFORE sunup (morning). You let the sun hit the pool, it starts consuming your FC. You tested at 10am and that may have been the difference!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.