First time with tf100, sanity check wanted!

ParB

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
SF Bay area (silicon valley)
Hi all, I just got my tf1000 test kit. I think I did every test correctly. The water temperature recorded using a science temp probe of the sample water.

What do you think of these results and how I should interprete them? Do the result look reasonable to you?

Btw I used the poolmath app, pretty neat app.

I plan to retake the tests tomorrow just to make sure I practice, and I want a second sampling.

==========================================
Watkins
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Fiberglass
Volume: 16000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.5 (an hour ago)
CC: 0.0 (an hour ago)
pH: 7.5 (an hour ago)
TA: 140 (an hour ago)
CH: 525 (an hour ago)
CYA: 85 (an hour ago)
TEMPERATURE: 82° (an hour ago)
CSI: 0.31 (an hour ago)

Since that is a brand new test kit, I'd be suspicious of the TA reading. It's a common issue to get a static charge on the tip of the R-009 which makes the drops smaller, so you use more, and get a falsely high reading. The cure is to wipe the tip off with a damp paper towel before each drop for the next three tests or so.

Your CYA is on the high side. It could be testing error. That is the hardest test to do. Some folks like to dribble the liquid in and watch for the dot to disappear, so like to fill to a line and have a look, then fill to the next and look, and so on until the dot disappears. Be assured that there is no shame in pouring the sample back into the mixing bottle and repeating the test again and again until you are satisfied. In my early days, I could easily do that ten times before I got three that matched.

If that CYA number is correct, you must ask how it got so high. Are you chlorinating with tablets?

Congratulations! Your water chemistry looks very good for the first time.

Your FC is a bit low for CYA 90 and should be around 6. If the dot disappears between 90 and 80 we round up and call it 90 use round numbers for the CYA and lookup your FC target at FC/CYA Levels

I'm going to redo all of the tests including the cya number tomorrow. It's probably the one I'm the least comfortable that I got right.

I did the wet towel on the dripper before each drop. But I'll try again.

I just bought the house with the pool. Previous owner used a pool company, I decided to continue the contract for a few weeks until I got settled in. The pool company is using tablets. They where here on Monday.
I'm thinking about getting an swcg and manage chlorine that way. My brother has that and is very happy with it.

Since you are doing the CYA test follow step 8 in the extened test directions...

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.

Hi all,

I just tested my pool. I should also say that I had the tree trimmers at my house yesterday and a very large oak tree next to the pool got a heavy trimming. I turned off the pool pump for most of the day yesterday, and once they where done I took off the stuff that floated and started the cleaner and filtering. I took out at least two skimmers worth of leaves and I'm sure the filter is full of pollen. Head to empty the bag twice in my pool cleaner.

Pool is not perfectly clean but almost.
So I did the test this morning around 11 am.
Watkins
Build Type: Fiberglass
Volume: 16000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 1.0 (31 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (31 minutes ago)
pH: 7.5 (31 minutes ago)
TA: 110 (31 minutes ago)
CH: 475 (31 minutes ago)
CYA: 80 (31 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 75° (31 minutes ago)
CSI: 0.08 (31 minutes ago)

I did the FC test twice to make sure I didn't do it wrong. I did the cya test twice as well.

I found that the pool guy had left a tablet in the skimmer, it's about halfway dissolved. I haven't fired the pool guy yet.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm definitely getting the swcg. I asked the pool company for a quote, but it was 3x what I can buy it for. And he still wanted labor charges to install it...

I'm hesitant to install the swcg myself.
My brother could help me but with covid he can't easily come to me, he is 2 states away from me.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Also for future reference you can pour your cya mixture back into the bottle & re-squirt it back into cylinder as many times as you need to feel you are reading the right # & also there’s no in between #s - if it looks like 75 you always round up to 80 etc.

I'm definitely getting the swcg. I asked the pool company for a quote, but it was 3x what I can buy it for. And he still wanted labor charges to install it...

I'm hesitant to install the swcg myself.
My brother could help me but with covid he can't easily come to me, he is 2 states away from me.

Post pics of your pool equipment and plumbing and let's talk about the difficulty in installing a SWG at your site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.