First time with a Taylor Test Kit, and questions.

joneallen

Jul 1, 2019
Tallmadge, OH
30’ round, above ground with cartridge filter. I’ve had it for 4 years and never had issues (so I thought) until this year. I’ve always been the guy that takes a sample to the pool store every Sunday, and they give me a list of what I need. I rinse out my filter also that day. However, after research, they test for just the basics (FC, TA, and pH). So far this year, I have yet to keep any chlorine in my water, and come to find out, CYA was non-existent in my pool. Therefore my pool was extremely cloudy. So I got the K2006 test kit last night, and here’s where I’m at:

FC: 0.4
CC: 0.6
PH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 320
CYA: 0 (just to be safe, as I was able to see the black dot clearly when the sample was full)

Now for the questions:

Do I SLAM the pool, or just bring up the CYA and then maintain the chlorine?
Can I add the stabilizer and chlorine at the same time, or do I have to wait until the stabilizer cycles through the pool?
I need to lower my TA and my CH, any recommendations? I assume I do this after the chlorine levels are correct?

Thanks for all the help so far with the info on these forums.

30’ round, above ground with cartridge filter. I’ve had it for 4 years and never had issues (so I thought) until this year. I’ve always been the guy that takes a sample to the pool store every Sunday, and they give me a list of what I need. I rinse out my filter also that day. However, after research, they test for just the basics (FC, TA, and pH). So far this year, I have yet to keep any chlorine in my water, and come to find out, CYA was non-existent in my pool. Therefore my pool was extremely cloudy. So I got the K2006 test kit last night, and here’s where I’m at:

FC: 0.4
CC: 0.6
PH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 320
CYA: 0 (just to be safe, as I was able to see the black dot clearly when the sample was full)

Now for the questions:

Do I SLAM the pool, or just bring up the CYA and then maintain the chlorine?
Can I add the stabilizer and chlorine at the same time, or do I have to wait until the stabilizer cycles through the pool?
I need to lower my TA and my CH, any recommendations? I assume I do this after the chlorine levels are correct?

Thanks for all the help so far with the info on these forums.
You SLAM. CC is too high and you've likely gone too long without chlorine. On the plus side, it probably won;t take long to pass all three tests.

Drop pH to 7.2.

Then monkey around with the CYA granules and the sock. As soon as it's done and tied shut, put it in. No need to wait for the pH adjustment to take effect. Target 30 for now. You can raise it later if you want.

By now, at least fifteen minutes have elapsed. SLAM level is 10 FC with no CYA. So add that.

Make a lap with the brush then treat yourself to a cold one. Or two

By that time, you're about due for the next test and dose. From here on, consider your CYA to be at 30 so you SLAM at 12 FC.

Your TA and CH are fine where they are. TA will come down as you adjust pH. CH isn't high enough to worry about.

Perfect! Thanks so much. I just read in a previous thread about the CYA sock method, so I’ll give it a go.

Just to be safe, the process is:
1: lower pH to 7.2
2: Bring CYA to 30
3: Slam at 10 FC
4: Test, brush and beer
4: Slam at 12 FC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.