First time testing with new TF-100, Total Chlorine high?

shawncberg

Jul 31, 2019
Trinity, FL
Just got my first TF-100 test kit yesterday and peformed my first water test this morning about 10:45am - pump and SWG had been running for 2:45 (since 8am). My Free & Total Chlorine seems to be high. I re-tested and got the same results. Here’s results from all of the tests. I’m curious - is this water safe to swim in? I’ve preemptively turned off my SWG for a bit today in hopes it drops as we have a party tomorrow and planned to be swimming.

Free Chlorine: 11
Combined Chloramines: 0.5
Total Chlorine: 11.5
Total Hardness: 250
Total Alkalinity: 70
Cyanuric Acid: 70
pH: 7.6

Thanks so much in advance for your help :)

Thank you!!

I’m definitely going to read through that tonight. Although it’s well below SLAM, it’s also quite a bit higher than the target of 5 for SWCG pools. Is turning off/down the SWCG the proper way for me to lower this back closer to the target?

I would recommend to set the SWCG % setting and pump run time such that you are creating 3 ppm FC. Then test daily and see if the FC slowly falls and stabilizes. Having the FC anywhere between the target of 5 and 10 ppm is great. You need the FC to be 10 ppm or less to use the pH test results.

You want the Effect to equal 3 ppm. That way the SWCG will create 3 ppm FC per day. Your FC loss per day to UV will be that, give or take. Test and see.

Ok, I think I figured it out but it still doesn’t add up. I used the calculator to determine cell % for 3ppm FC and it recommends 36%, but my cell was set at only 17% and it’s already high. So more than doubling the % would make that even worse, no?

114FD6A0-BE3E-4EB1-AE13-AED77DA2AF5A.png

Is this pool covered? Inside? You had the cell percentage at 17%, what cell do you have? Can you fill out your signature?

I’ll absolutely do that! Appreciate the advice.

Pool is in Florida, 10k gallon, outdoors w/ screen enclosure. I have a Nexa Pure A5 salt cell that I believe is way overkill for this size, but it’s what came with the house when I recently purchased it.

With a screen enclosure, I would still think your pool would lose 2 ppm FC per day or so.

Set the generation at 1 ppm FC per day. Test daily.

I just hate to see you turn it off and drop below minimum and have an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think OP is thinking PoolMath calculates his chlorine LOSS......it does not. It only calculates how much you are adding and your daily loss is subtracted from that.

Marty is saying, program your SWG for 3 ppm daily because that is roughly what you will lose. Pool math does not calculate how much you lose.

With a screen enclosure, I would still think your pool would lose 2 ppm FC per day or so.

That makes sense! I’m going to do exactly that and test regularly to get it leveled out. Thanks again!

I think OP is thinking PoolMath calculates his chlorine LOSS......it does not. It only calculates how much you are adding and your daily loss is subtracted from that.

Marty is saying, program your SWG for 3 ppm daily because that is roughly what you will lose. Pool math does not calculate how much you lose.

That’s exactly the mistake I was making. I realized that shortly after. Thanks so much for your help!

Listen to him. :) I had the same issues, but didn’t check and read here first. I let my FCL get to low. Then, my SWG couldn’t keep up. I had to SLAM to get things back to normal. Now, I plan to maintain on the high side of the FCL chart for my CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.