First time test results, can someone help me make sense and see anything out of the ordinary?

badaboom423

Jul 9, 2020
Apex, NC
Moved to a house with an existing pool about 2 weeks ago, first time testing using k-2006 and wanted to get some insight on what to do. I know I can probably find some information, but I'd like some hand holding if possible since it's my first time, I promise I'll be less annoying moving forward :LOL:

FC = 6.8
CC = 1 (is that ok?)
PH = 7.8
TA = 120 (too high?)
CH = 170 (Apparently I don't need to worry about this at all since I have a vinyl liner)
CSI = ? (If I don't care about CH, do I care about this?)
CYA = 39 (too low?)
SALT = 4000 (seems a bit high)

I lowered the SWG to run at 45% today, it was running at 70% after someone came over and saw that chlorine was low when it was running at only 20%.

Is there anything that jumps out at you that is seriously wrong? What steps should I follow to get everything in good shape?

How does the water look?
I would wait and test again tomorrow (focused on the CC) before raising CYA to 70 ppm. The CYA is rounded up, so use 40.

Salt, drain a couple inches before the next rain storm. You do need to be careful with high salt and that SWCG.

pH - lower when it gets to 8. Only go down to 7.6. The TA will take care of itself.

From now on use a 10 ml water sample for the FC test. One scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.

If you got the little K2006 -- you will want to get refills of FAS-DPD and CYA reagents now. See TFTestkits.net.

Just wait and test CC tomorrow. A CC of 1 is concerning, but if water clarity is good and FC is not dropping quickly, then it could just be a transient.

For now, you should test FC and pH daily. Once you learn your pool water characteristics, you can slow that down to every other or third day.
TA should be tested weekly or when you need to adjust pH. You need a valid TA level for the calculation of chemical needed to adjust pH.

CH and CYA should be tested monthly or after any large addition of product containing them or a water exchange.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does the poolmath app tell me what amounts I need to add, or is it just for logging purposes?
Yes, it does. It will give you a suggested target that is mid point of the range. You can adjust that target to make sense for your pool conditions. You then select what product you will use to adjust the chemistry.

In Overview, touch a parameter, say FC, and a screen will pop up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Merged thread - TFP Mod
I'm not sure if some chemical are not supposed to interact with others, or anything like that. What should my steps be to fix it? According to poolmath, I need to work on PH, CYA, and TA

------------------------------------------
Test Results 07-19-2020 @ 06:53 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 3.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.1
Total Alkalinity: 140
Calcium Hardness: 150
Salt: 3800
CYA: 40

Last edited by a moderator:
Add stabilizer via the sock method. Add chlorine to MATCH FC/CYA table for salt water pool. Then set SWG to match demand. (It's not in your signature, but I assume you have a SWG given your salt level.)

pH will rise naturally with TA as high as it is. When it gets to 8, add acid to bring it back to 7.4-7.6. This will also lower TA. Repeat, over time, and until pH stabilizes. There's no reason to attack TA directly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.