First time SLAM need help

Lei Mend

Jun 4, 2020
Virginia
Hello, I am a new convert to the TFP method of pool care after 3 yrs of going to the pool store šŸ˜¬ For the past 30 days, we have green algae that forms on the bottom of pool steps and some parts of the wall. It goes away after ā€œshockingā€ with the Cal-Hypo powder but comes back after a day or two no matter how many times we brush and backwash.
Yesterday I decided to forget everything I learned from the pool store and followed the SLAM process. Based on the pool math app, I needed to add 3 gallons of Liquid Chlorine 12.5% to reach Free Chlorine of 24ppm. My readings based on Taylor 2006 test kit before I poured 3 gallons were:
FC 8
pH 7.4
ALK 90
CYA 60
CH 60

I didnā€™t have enough chlorine so I was only able to raise FC to 21ppm. This morning, I brushed the pool again. My readings are:
FC 16.4
CC .4
pH 7.8

I plan to go to the store today to find more Liquid Chlorine. Do I need to lower my pH first to 7.2 before continuing the SLAM process?

Thanks!

Your tested pH of 7.4 before raising the FC is fine. No need to adjust. Remember that pH test is not valid if your FC is 10 ppm or higher.

Start using a 10 ml water sample and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC. If you have the K2006(no C), then you need to order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills now. See TFTestkits.net.

Follow the SLAM Process. Read the article thoroughly.

Reactions: Lei Mend
Your tested pH of 7.4 before raising the FC is fine. No need to adjust. Remember that pH test is not valid if your FC is 10 ppm or higher.

Start using a 10 ml water sample and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC. If you have the K2006(no C), then you need to order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills now. See TFTestkits.net.

Follow the SLAM Process. Read the article thoroughly.

Thank you! I am glad to know that I donā€™t have to worry about the high pH for now while in SLAM mode. And yes, I do have the refills for the CYA and FAS-DPD. I even bought the magnetic stirrer from TFtestkits because I really want to be better at testing šŸ˜

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.