First time readings

JayK

Feb 24, 2019
St. Louis
Okay so I hope I am doing this right.

22,000 gal pool (roughly will know exactly once water bill shows up.
EcoFinish Pool
SWG
Been going one week. Was shocked by pool Co I believe on day they started it up
Water Temp between 78 - 80f
SWG output is 50% Salt level (According to intelliclor) is 3500
Water "looks" perfect. :)

Test
Free Clor: 2.6
Combined Clor: 3
PH 7.6
TA: 50
CH: 90
CYA:20 or a little less

So.. Now what? :)

Attachments

• ALmost Done Drone.jpg
    ALmost Done Drone.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 13
I am using the 2006C and it's very possible I did it wrong. BUT I did write it all down. It took 13 drops of the 871 to get it clear. Then it took 2 drops of the next one (Don't remember what they was called)

Also I am on top of the CYA, working on that now.

Did I do the math wrong (I would not be surprised)

Did you use 25ml of water or 10ml of water?
Guessing 25ml and then each drop is 0.2ppm ... so 13 drops = 2.6ppm and 2 drops for the CC would be 0.4ppm (no idea how you came up with 3)

Get enough CYA dissolving to initially get you to about 60ppm.
Add enough bleach to get your FC up to the required level for that CYA (FC/CYA Levels)
And then start to dial in the SWG output.

Oh and switch to using 10ml of water so each drop is 0.5ppm to save reagents
Add your test kit in your signature, too :goodjob:

So OP's question..."Now what?" Answer....Go swimming! Keep your parameters within the guideline we teach and enjoy your Summer.

Now, a bit of a thread hi-jack. Those of you that frequent this forum a lot know I am not a big fan of CSI. I believe it has a place for some pool owners who have high Calcium fill water (and some other less frequent issues). There is a tendency for some responders from the desert Southwest to prescribe CSI to all the rest of us because they have to deal with it daily.

If OP had a plaster surface (turns out he didn't, but that's not really the point), he simply needed to bring his CH up into the suggested 250-400 range and keep it there. He would then never experience the leaching of calcium from his pool surface and he would also never have to consider CSI.

CSI is a tool for those who CAN NOT stay within the guidelines we suggest (mostly from fill water) and the rest of us (a big majority) simply can ignore it.

Simplicity is paramount in what TFP teaches. Introducing CSI into a scenario where it is irrelevant only adds complexity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the signature was correct, then the plaster bottom was in danger and something needed addressed based on the CSI. The solution you proposed of raising the CH is of course correct, but this discussion would be better outside of hijacking the OP.

Last edited:
Update on Tests. Using the App now.
Referencing what Duraleigh said: No matter the test, the water is WONDERFUL. But it's fun to see where I can get this.
Here is what I have and what I need help with:
CYA: got it from 20 up to 60 and climbing, so we're doing well. Using the sock method. Genius.
FC: 2.4 (App says to raise salt level to 62% for 10 hours. Started that today.
PH: 7.6 (App said to add 1lbs of PH minus. Did that today)
TA: 50 (App is telling me to add 7lbs of baking soda. Have not done that yet - wanted to confirm with all of you)
CH: This one is confusing me. I think I may be doing the math wrong. I added 7 drops so is that 70?
App is telling me to add 50lbs of Calcium Chloride. Seriously? I must be doing something wrong here.

Salt: Not sure what the target is supposed to be.. Have not tested this yet.

PS I am new, I am horrible at math. Please do not criticize.

Attachments

• Pool Water.jpg
    Pool Water.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 5
How much water did you use for the CH test? If 25ml, then the CH is 70ppm, if 10ml, then each drop is 25ppm and your CH is 175ppm
I would not think there is a need to add CH to the EcoFinish pool, I think recommendations should be similar to vinyl.

You should not rely on the SWG to raise the FC if you are too low. Just add some bleach and dial in the SWG to maintain the correct level.
Also, use 10ml of water for the chlorine test so that each drop is 0.5ppm to save a bunch of reagent.

How much water did you use for the CH test? If 25ml, then the CH is 70ppm, if 10ml, then each drop is 25ppm and your CH is 175ppm
I would not think there is a need to add CH to the EcoFinish pool, I think recommendations should be similar to vinyl.

You should not rely on the SWG to raise the FC if you are too low. Just add some bleach and dial in the SWG to maintain the correct level.
Also, use 10ml of water for the chlorine test so that each drop is 0.5ppm to save a bunch of reagent.
I had listed my pool as Fiberglass. Should I change it to Vinyl?
I will look into the bleach you speak of.

I am not sure what pool type you should pick, but really the recommendation are not much different.
The question really is, is there any calcium in the EcoFinish like there might be in some fiberglass epoxies. I would guess that there is not. Which would make your pool more vinyl like than fiberglass.
I can't recall who the installer is on TFP that might be able to answer this.
@swimcmp @bdavis466 ?

Wait, don't you have tile and grout? If so, then you should use plaster settings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.