Central CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
So I bought a house, and with it, came a 20x40 vinyl liner in ground pool. I'll be replacing the liner, any advice on that process will be appreciated. After reading a little on this site I realize that pool maintenance is not for the faint of heart, but I definitely want to do it right, my plan is to set up a SWG, when I get a chance to sit down at my computer I'll put the details of the pool in my signature line, I know it has a DE filter.

I'll be filling it up with well water, again any advice will be helpful, what to look for, etc. I know I should probably test the water before I put it in, I do know it has pretty high iron content.

I want to become informed before I start the process so I can avoid any potential pitfalls

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:
I'll be filling it up with well water. I do know it has pretty high iron content.
Do you have any way to fill with fresh water? Maybe have some trucked-in? Well water with iron will be a challenge to say the least. Since you want to avoid potential pitfalls, I figured I should hit that topic right off the bat. If well water is all you have to work with, then consider the following:
- Pre-filter as much as you can before it goes in the pool! The more iron you remove, the less you have to treat chemically
- Have a good sequestrant ready to add to the water
- Iron seems to precipitate-out, trying to change the water color and stain pool surfaces when the FC and pH become elevated. You'll want to keep those two on the lower end of the recommended ranges when possible.
- Speaking of recommended levels, it's critical to have the proper test kit at home to manage your water. We recommend either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Proper home testing is an absolute must, and not having one of those kits is one of the most common pitfalls we see here on the forum.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for using the forum.

Welcome to TFP!

Iron is bad juju in pools - causes all kinds of problems. The first question is how much iron, and the second question is - do you have the budget/option of filling with trucked in metal-free water?

That said, pool maintenance is dead easy once you figure out the TFP method. I know there's a lot of info on this site, and there are times you'll need that info, but once you're dialed in, especially with an SWG, you'll be on easy street as long as you keep testing and stay on top of it.

Before getting ready to fill that pool, you'll want a good test kit. The Taylor K-2006C is a good choice (make sure it's a C - that means it has more of the reagents you need), or the best value for reagents vs. cost is the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net . Make sure you have one of these in hand before you start filling the pool. In the mean time, you might take a sample of your well water to a local pool store to see what the metals content is (ignore the rest of their advice/attempts to sell you things). Giving us that number will help us to give you good advice.

I tested the well water when I bought the house, different from a pool specific test I'm sure, but the iron content is .96 mg/L pH is 7.2

It would cost me around $1500 I think to get the water trucked in, not sure if I'll be able to swing that this spring , I also don't want to install the liner and wait around for weeks without water in it, I imagine that's a bad scenario,

I don't know the type of iron (precipitated or not) I could get another test after my filter to see how much iron it removes

Should I get any additional options when ordering the TF-100 kit?

Another option is supplementing some fill from a water softener which can help some. But if you do some searches here at TFP for "pre-filter" or "iron control", things like that, you'll see some very good ideas from others. The key is to try and physically catch as much iron as you can at fill, then use the sequestrant thereafter to manage iron and keep it from precipitating out to the pool itself.

Another option is supplementing some fill from a water softener which can help some. But if you do some searches here at TFP for "pre-filter" or "iron control", things like that, you'll see some very good ideas from others. The key is to try and physically catch as much iron as you can at fill, then use the sequestrant thereafter to manage iron and keep it from precipitating out to the pool itself.
I just got an estimate from a local company of $1375, for chlorinated pool water, not terrible I suppose, I could just avoid going out to eat for a couple months, haha,

I do see a lot of iron (rust colored sediment) in my house filter, I know it takes a lot of it out.

Here's a pic, there's a large herd of tadpoles in there now
019e69b671a23fdacd982fd80fee9902.jpg

Also I'll have to resurface the fiberglass steps I think, there's a few cracks and I read somewhere that they should be back filled so that they don't move when you step in them, maybe I'll have to drill holes and put something in there,

TF-100 options - personally I would recommend the SpeedStir. It makes testing a LOT easier and more consistent (and it's fun). :)

High Iron water - it is what it is. Definitely search around the forums here, there are a number of filtering options for you and it can be controlled with sequestrant as mentioned above too. No worries!

Ok I'll order that soon, and see what I have in my water, I have an alternative water source too I could check that as well.

where do I go to test for Iron? A pool store? I don't want to have to pay another $120 for the place I used last time to test my well water.

Does anyone have any experience using a company called Doheny's for pool liners? Is there anything I should watch out for ordering and installing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes! They love to offer a free test and then load you up with $300 worth of potions to "fix" the problems their tests reveal. :whoot:

Have them test, ignore their pleas to buy something, and let us know what the metals are. ;)

Ok I'm getting ready to bring a sample of my well water to the pool place, I'm also getting ready to take the old liner out and start measuring for the new one, any advice on that process?

I know my pump works I plugged it in for a brief moment and it turned on, I don't know if there's a timer or what I have to trace the wiring back and see what's what.

What should I do to fix the fiberglass steps? Cut holes, backfill, then patch holes and cracks? Any ideas on that? Also how is the liner supposed to seal going around the steps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.