First time pool opener

chrisndawn

Apr 10, 2021
Monroe, CT
Good Day!
After reading through several posts and articles, I purchased the TF test kit, which arrived yesterday. We opened our pool on 4/8. With test strips, all seemed OK, except the CYA and I noticed as I added some, the measurement did not change. So I decided to stop adding stabilizer and wait for the kit to arrive.
I have just finished the first round of tests:
FC- 4ppm (so I'm thinking I need to add some bleach)
CC- 0.5ppm
CH- 50ppm (we have a vinyl liner in our above ground pool)
TA- 80ppm
CYA- 90ppm! (see....I knew it! So now is it too high?)

Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum!
Your CYA is high, but with a SWCG, an elevated CYA is OK. I would drain off a few inches the next few times you are to get alot of rain.
You do need to raise your FC to match the CYA. See FC/CYA Levels
Good job on getting proper test kits and taking control. Consider the PoolMath app too.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Your CYA is high, but with a SWCG, an elevated CYA is OK. I would drain off a few inches the next few times you are to get alot of rain.
You do need to raise your FC to match the CYA. See FC/CYA Levels
Good job on getting proper test kits and taking control. Consider the PoolMath app too.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you so much!
One more test I forgot to add. Using SW test strip, the salinity is 3260, but according to my SWG, the value is 2900, still an OK number. Just not sure if I should add salt or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.