First time pool opener

chrisndawn

Apr 10, 2021
Monroe, CT
Good Day!
After reading through several posts and articles, I purchased the TF test kit, which arrived yesterday. We opened our pool on 4/8. With test strips, all seemed OK, except the CYA and I noticed as I added some, the measurement did not change. So I decided to stop adding stabilizer and wait for the kit to arrive.
I have just finished the first round of tests:
FC- 4ppm (so I'm thinking I need to add some bleach)
CC- 0.5ppm
CH- 50ppm (we have a vinyl liner in our above ground pool)
TA- 80ppm
CYA- 90ppm! (see....I knew it! So now is it too high?)

Thank you so much!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Welcome to the forum!
Your CYA is high, but with a SWCG, an elevated CYA is OK. I would drain off a few inches the next few times you are to get alot of rain.
You do need to raise your FC to match the CYA. See FC/CYA Chart
Good job on getting proper test kits and taking control. Consider the PoolMath app too.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

chrisndawn

Apr 10, 2021
Monroe, CT
Welcome to the forum!
Your CYA is high, but with a SWCG, an elevated CYA is OK. I would drain off a few inches the next few times you are to get alot of rain.
You do need to raise your FC to match the CYA. See FC/CYA Chart
Good job on getting proper test kits and taking control. Consider the PoolMath app too.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you so much!
One more test I forgot to add. Using SW test strip, the salinity is 3260, but according to my SWG, the value is 2900, still an OK number. Just not sure if I should add salt or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread