First time opening my AGP.

Thatsrich85

May 5, 2019
London, Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

I have opened our pool for the first time.
Water colour is good, clear.
Has some debris in it we need to get out. And definitely needs a vacuum.

With that said, below are my numbers, what do I need to add!”?

TH - 0
TC- 0
FC- 0.5
PH- 6.8
Alkalinity- 120
CYA- 30-50

What do I need to add?

View the CYA chart. You need to add some liquid chlorine to get up to maintain levels. Your Free Chlorine is really low and if it stays low you are asking for algae. You need a more accurate reading of your CYA than 30-50.

Looks like you also need to raise your PH. I would do this by aerating the water. This won’t raise your TA level. You can aerate the water by adding some kind of water feature, splashing, etc...most aerate by adding some piping so the return jet breaks the water surface!

Last edited:
Calculate how many gallons of water are in your pool and get a more accurate reading of your stabilizer and go from there using the pool math app for the amount of chlorine that is needed. Look under pool school for recommended levels per current test readings. Skip the TH test, not needed, get the PH in line, get the stabilizer in the 40 -50 , which it might already be and add proper amount of chlorine for that level. Worry about the TA later if the PH drifts or fluctuates much , if it stays fairly neutral and not deviate to often ,do not aim for a specific PPM. Add your pool and relevant info to your sig, sure helps with answers to questions.
Forgot to mention, depending on what type of chlorine you use such as liquid or the floating pucks, the pucks will slowly raise the CYA level over the course of the summer and you will need to adjust the FC accordingly ( higher) . When I first had our pool 7 years ago I thought I was a complete moron when it came to water care, but after reading the info on this board and reading other posts upside down, backward and forward it all fell in to place , do not over think the procedures.

Last edited:
Hi Rich,
Your signature doesn’t indicate how you are testing your pool water chemistry. Are you using either the TF100 or Taylor K-2006C test kits? Post your current chemistry results and it will be easier to provide assistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.