First time opening after the winter

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
So I'm a newbie, last year I installed my pool, opened it up and then came winter so I winterized everything.

Today I went out and hooked up all my equipment, its a 21ft above ground pool FYI. My water is pretty green from all the reading what I need to do is start the pump and let water circulate.

Now my question is I drained the sand filter (Hayward S-180T) before winter do I need to put water in now to get it to a certain level or just top up water in pool and fire up the pump and let it run for a while then do the tests and add chemicals as necessary?

I guess I'm worried about starting anything if the filter needs to have water in it first?

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature on the bottom. You will need to fill the pump basket with water and turn the system on. Make sure you are on the "filter mode" and all the return plugs have been removed from the pool. Also, do you have a skimmer? If so, please remove the Gizmo or plug, whichever you used.

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature on the bottom. You will need to fill the pump basket with water and turn the system on. Make sure you are on the "filter mode" and all the return plugs have been removed from the pool. Also, do you have a skimmer? If so, please remove the Gizmo or plug, whichever you used.

Hi,thanks for the info. So no water needs to go into the filter on start up just put water in the pump basket itself and let the system fill the filter with water?

What do you mean all the return plugs removed? As in anything that was capped? I reconnected all the equipment as it should be. And yes I do have a skimmer, and there was no plug in it I simply removed the basket so I've re-added that also and put the little flapper back in its place for the skimmer.

The water coming back into the pool (the return), was it capped? If not, then you are ready to go. Pictures of the pool and equipment pad would be helpful. Remove the cover off the pump basket and fill up with water. Then close the lid and turn the system on. It takes a few minutes before everything is primed.

Hi, yah no I did not cap the return as I had drained the water level quite a ways before winter, but as winter went on some of it did leak in through the return vent as snow/rain brought the level back up.. not a big deal I think?

Fired everything up last night. It's been running now for almost 24hours and its quite green. I cleaned out some of the big debris (leaves) from the bottom as much as I could but I could still see some sediment down on the floor. Now the water is green that I can't even see the floor anymore.. See attached picture.

My setup is as follows;
Skimmer -> Pool Pump Hayward -> Hayward S-180T Sand Filter -> Couple of Valves to either 1) go through the Pool Heater (HeatPro unit) or 2) bypass heater. Whether option 1 or 2 is taken, the water ends up going through a check valve then - Hayward Chlorine Feeder CL200 -- Return Vent.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 77
That pool math calculator could not be more confusing.. I can't understand the whole FC part and how it actually is supposed to read.

My gallons for the pool is 10400, my FC is set to 2 to 12. Now I am trying to decipher what amount I'm actually trying to add to the pool... I actually have liquid chlorine.. so I think that trichlor should be changed?

Add of % bleach. Jug size 96 oz 128 oz 174 oz 182 oz 30 oz 64 oz 121 oz .
or add by weight or by volume of trichlor dichlor cal-hypo 48% cal-hypo 53% cal-hypo 65% cal-hypo 73% lithium-hypo chlorine gas .
Note: Dichlor and trichlor add CYA and lower pH. Cal-hypo adds CH.

If you have liquid chlorine you do not worry about anything after the word or

I agree on the jug size part....I ignore that part also.

The only part I pay any attention to is :

Add _____oz of ____weight%

The first ____ is how many oz of chlorine you will add.

The second _____ is where you put in how strong your chlorine is. Most chlorine is 11%, most store bleach is 8%

I have a plastic measuring cup (2 cup) that has oz. marked on it. That works for me.

Did this help? PLEASE let me know so I can adjust or say in another way to help you with Pool Math...........I had a BIG learning curve with it so understand where you are coming from!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

okay well my CYA is 44, pool is a total of 40000L, my FC should be 3-16. So I went ahead and tried to figure out whats going on and basically that math calc tells me I need 2 gallons of chlorine? Am I understanding this right?

I can't select the strength of the chlorine.. I see nothing close to 11%.. all the values I see are 48 to 73%

This is the stuff I used, the liquid chlorine I thought I had on hand there was much left. So I had to jet to walmart before it closes (tmr is a holiday in Canada) and just had to grab what they had not he shelve..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-Super-Shock-Treatment-1-lb-Bags-6-Count/52056346

You don't "select" the strength of the chlorine. You have to type in the number.

We will call your CYA 50 as we round that up.

Using this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart I see your FC should be at 20 for you CYA of 50.

When I do the the pool math I get you need 242oz of chlorine which is just shy of 2 whole gallons. That will get you started!

Test as often as you can. It looks like you go it right so start SLAMING!

Oh please use liquid chlorine/bleach as the powder shock and such add CYA to your water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chlorine is mostly 11% and bleach is mostly 8% BUT it can be different %. Make sure to check on the bottle as well as look for the date code.

You can click on the 6 and delete it and change it to what you are using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.